Sony STR-DH790 Linear PCM issue

atrix

Novice Member
Newbie here,
So I have a Sony TV KD55XF9005 that I connected via HDMI ARC to the Sony STR-DH790, I also have a Sony UPB-X800M2 connected to the receiver. I have also connected Left, Right and Front speaker, no subwoofer yet, it is coming later. When I play blurays I get Dolby Surround, also with apps from the TV like Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, but when I play TV from coax, Youtube app, VLC app or some other apps, I only get linear PCM, so its the same sound on all three speakers. I did connect a optical sound cable from the TV to the Receiver, but nothing changed. Anyone have a clue what I can do to get this to work as it is supposed?

Thank you so much!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode and not an audio format.

Set your TV's digital audio output setting option to something other than PCM. The PCM setting on a TV will result in all audio being downmixed to just 2 channels and then output as 2 channel PCM.

Also note that nothing on YouTube would ever be anything more tha 2 channel stereo in nature. Don't try to get native multichannel surround via YouTube because nothing hosted on it includes such audio.

Even if applying Dolby Surround Upmixing to a 2 channel source, you'd still get different auduio via the front 3 speakers.

The digital audio output setting on your TV should be set to an option that equates to BITSTREAM.

Last edited:

atrix

Novice Member
Thanks for the answer, it seems that it was actually my own fault, everything is set as it should. I just needed to press the correct button on the remote control(Movie). Now it works just like I want.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom