Sony STR DH790 Dolby Vision issue

DamianP

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've had the Sony STR-DH790 for around 10 months now and it's worked fine up to now.

Last night, when I turned over to my 4k firestick, every few seconds the screen would go black for another few seconds and then come back on again.

The only way I've found to fix this is to limit the output on my firestick to 2160p 50Hz which totally eliminates the issue.

I've got my firestick plugged into the back of the Sony and then linked to my tv via an eARC HDMI cable.

If I eliminate the Sony and have the same cable going from my 4k firestick to my telly, I can play 4k/Dolby vision stuff just fine.

I'll be phoning Richer Sounds tomorrow but is there anything else I can try before doing so?

Thanks, Damian

mcqdogg

Novice Member
Hi all,

I've had the Sony STR-DH790 for around 10 months now and it's worked fine up to now.

Last night, when I turned over to my 4k firestick, every few seconds the screen would go black for another few seconds and then come back on again.

The only way I've found to fix this is to limit the output on my firestick to 2160p 50Hz which totally eliminates the issue.

I've got my firestick plugged into the back of the Sony and then linked to my tv via an eARC HDMI cable.

If I eliminate the Sony and have the same cable going from my 4k firestick to my telly, I can play 4k/Dolby vision stuff just fine.

I'll be phoning Richer Sounds tomorrow but is there anything else I can try before doing so?

Thanks, Damian
I’m having a very similar issue. For me, the image clips in and out from the HDR image to black in random 1 to 3 seconds intervals, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer.

My devices are connected from Roku Ultra to STR-DH790 to LG OLED C9 via 8k hdmi 16ft and 10ft cables.

This only happens when the Roku display is set to Dolby Vision. HDR works fine. I wouldn’t care as much accept the Roku Ultra keeps reverting to automatic display and chooses Dolby Vision by default even AFTER I set it 4k HDR!

I’ve swapped out all cables and no luck.

If I connect the Roku Ultra directly to the LG OLED C9, the Dolby Vision works fine.

I have switched the receivers HDMI input setting from standard to enhanced, but no change (@DamianP you could try this if you haven’t already. page 35 of the receiver manual)

The TV hdmi input is also set to accept ultra 4k color profiles.

The problem originally started happening with my old receiver, a Onkyo TX-SR393. It gave me an excuse to upgrade, but I had hoped it would fix the issue too.

I’m at a loss. This could be related to your problem or maybe… my Roku is just broke?

SeanBrothers

If you have an LG 9 series TV, this is a known issue with the most recent firmware and LG are supposedly working on it. There's lots of griping going on in the LG C9 Owners thread.

The current work around is to plug the source directly into the TV and use ARC or eARC.

mcqdogg

Novice Member
If you have an LG 9 series TV, this is a known issue with the most recent firmware and LG are supposedly working on it. There's lots of griping going on in the LG C9 Owners thread.

The current work around is to plug the source directly into the TV and use ARC or eARC.
thanks!!

I was starting to think that I was the only one with this specific issue! Everyone else was fixing it by changing the input to enhanced. I’ll do some digging in the C9 threads.

Thanks again @SeanBrothers

SeanBrothers

Yup. Having reconfigured my system already to use eARC and avoid the DV issue, I can wait a little longer before jumping on the new firmware bandwagon!

mcqdogg

Novice Member
I’m still not seeing the update which stinks because I’m getting a delay when using eARC so I’d prefer the LG just fix the root cause of the DV problem instead of me having to chase down this new one.

mcqdogg

Novice Member
Update… I downloaded 5.10.15 and ran the update. Re-connected to go Roku > Sony AVR > LG C9 and the issue is gone… for now. Thanks again @SeanBrothers for pointing me to the firmware issue. Auto update is staying off going forward!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom