Question Sony STR-DH540 Randomly Cuts out (Audio and Video)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tarkisal, Apr 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tarkisal

Tarkisal
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. Let me start by saying this is my first post and if this post has been answered before I apologize. I have a problem.

I have a Sony STR-DH540 hooked up via HDMI to my Vizio M50-C1 and my Playstation 4 as well as a Windows Desktop PC. The audio or video will randomly cut out. When the video cuts out the screen goes black for about 3 seconds and then comes back. When the audio cuts out the tv speakers kick back on (They are usually set to off) and then, after about 3 seconds, they turn off and the receiver speakers turn back on. I have each device being controlled with the Vizio TV with ARC turned on.

I should also state that this happened with my previous TV, an LG 40 inch HDTV. I have already tried changing the HDMI cable without success. Listed below are the symptoms for each device.

Current setup

Streaming directly from the TV (i.e, Youtube, Netflix) - Audio cuts out
    Using the PS4 - Video and audio cuts out, game keeps playing (It's not freezing)
    Windows PC - Video and audio cuts out, sometimes the resolution suddenly says 1920x1080 and everything is scaled

Previous setup

Streaming from Amazon Fire TV - Audio and Video cuts out, Videos would pause
    Streaming from PS4 - video and audio cuts out
    Streaming from PS3 - video and audio cuts out

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the cut outs. It's not when anything intense is happening, it's not after a certain length of time, it seems just random.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because it's driving me crazy!

2. Tarkisal

Tarkisal
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update - I replaced the HDMI cables from the PS4 and the PC, but the problem remains. I have one more HDMI cable to replace; the one connecting the TV to the receiver, which is also the newest. The problem existed before this cable did so I didn't think that could be it but I'm willing to try anything.

The wire is 25' long. There isn't some upper limit, is there?

After this I'll be forced to assume it's a hardware problem with the receiver as I have changed out every other component.