• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DH500 & Creative inspire t6200

smark67

Standard Member
Hi,Can anybody tell me the best way to connect a Creative Inspire T6200 5.1 surround sound speakers system to a Sony STR-DH500 AV receiver? Not the best combination I know, but it's all I have to work with. Advice appreciated! Cheers, Mark

StevieBuck

These speakers are not designed to be connected to a standalone reciver like the STR-DH500.

According to the manual for the T6200 speakers, their impedance is 4Ω. This is much lower than the recommended 8-16Ω for the STR-DH500. If you do connect them up you run the risk of damaging the speakers or the receiver.

As with all standard receivers, the STR-DH500 has screw on terminals for connecting speaker wire. The T6200 speakers however appear to have phono connectors on the end of the speaker cables. You'd have to cut these off and expose the bare wire to physically connect them to the receiver. Once you've cut the connectors off, the speakers will obviously no longer work with the original sound system unless you can re-attach them somehow.

The subwoofer is another story from the 5 surround speakers. I doubt that you'll be able to get that connected at all.

Probably not the news you were looking for - but better knowing now, rather than after destroying a perfectly good piece of kit.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom