Question Sony STR-DH190 and Hi-Res Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by fozziebear39, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi, I have the above amp/receiver, great for the office running Dali Zensor Pico's. I want to get the best sound out of it, I am just confused at the Hi-Res status. I am presuming inputing a Hi-Res feed means digital and the only digital input is Bluetooth. Is Bluetooth the best way to go?

My main listening is through Spotify, and I have an old iPhone which I use on Very High Quality setting which I believe is better than through my Mac Mini which is only High Quality.

Would an external DAC to analogue phono input be better?

Cheers!

2. NottsMFC

NottsMFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,050
    Bluetooth is compressed so not good, Bluetooth Apt-X and Apt-XHD are better but require both ends to support this. Unfortunately your amp only supports basic Bluetooth SBC so limited to 328kbps

Spotify Premium is limited to 320kbps, compared to CD at 1411kbps so is limited from the start because you have already lost 80% compared to CD.

An external DAC may help but whether you will hear a difference using Spotify's limited bit rate is open to question. The money would be better spent upgrading core components such as the amp or better still the speakers

4. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for the replies, larkone, yes I agree Bluetooth and Spotify are not the best quality. I understand about the speakers but it is a small office and I am happy with the size. I tried my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's from the living room, but they are too big and boomy for around the computer monitors.

5. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,050
    I would look at near field active speakers then as they would be better suited to the task.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List