Sony STR-DG820 + speakers?

trickards

Hi all (newbie here),

Looking for a bit of advice now I am beginning to look into my first proper home cinema set-up.

I currently have a Denon PMA255UK 30 wpc into 8 ohm amp and some Mission M71 bookshelf speakers - 8 Ohm, 25 - 75W

Amp:
Denon PMA-255 | Dolphin Music
Speakers:
DISCONTINUED MISSION M71 SPEAKERS - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/765 for details

I have had this for a few years (as you probably guessed) and I am looking for a change and incorporating my hi-fi into home cinema (not something I am looking to open a debate about, ;-)!)

I am particularly interested in the sony amp mentioned above which advertised 100W x 7 into 8 ohms. I was hoping to use my mission speakers as i love the sound and really havent got the money to buy new stereo speakers. Obviously the Front L and R and going to be important as for music I will be listening in stereo as opposed to 5.1

Since I am new to this, is the output on the reciever
a) dangerous to the speakers at high volume
b) going to give terrible results in a 5.1 setup incorporating the above speakers

I am hoping to use these with some KEF KHT2005.2 i am getting hold of second hand.

Any advice will be welcomed, thanks!

trickards

Anybody with any ideas on this?

If i were to change speaker it would have to remain bookshelf - I might be looking at the KEF iQ10 and iQ30

What differences might i hear in these - a bigger bass from the 30's?

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Firstly, its not the speakers, its the amp you should worry about. A cheap underpowered amp will struggle and cause 'clipping' which can damage speakers. Secondly, and I'm quoting this from memory rather than double checking, the Sony figure of 100W is not for all channels driven so in reality will be less.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

a) The Sony should have no trouble driving your speakers, but if at high volume it begins to distort, turn it down.
b) Should be fine, better than many budget surround packages anyway.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom