Sony STR-DG820 SACD via HDMI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by joshQOTSA, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshQOTSA

joshQOTSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my old Sony DAV-SR1 DVD home theatre system with a Sony STR-DG820 receiver and a DVD player that can play SACD discs in multi channel.
    My questions are -
    As the the DG820 has no multichannel inputs is it possible to get 5.1 surround from SACD using HDMI 1.3?
    Could I get 5.1 SACD surround if I used an optical cable?
    Also any recommendations for a DVD/SACD player that I could use with the Sony STR-DG820 receiver that would give me 5.1 surround with SACD's via optical or HDMI if this is possible.

2. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi joshQOTSA,

You'll need a receiver that can decode DSD if you want to use HDMI for SACD. I think the cheapest Sony one that does that is the STR-DA5400ES. Might be wrong though.

You cannot output the hi-rez layers (stereo or multi-channel) of SACDs by digital optical, only the standard rez stereo CD quality layer.

How much are you looking to spend on the receiver and DVD/SACD player?

3. joshQOTSA

joshQOTSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi k-spin
    I'm looking at around £300 for the receiver and £150 for the player.
    Would it be easier if I get a receiver with multi-channel inputs like the Onkyo TX-SR506 or TX-SR576?
    I was thinking about getting a Denon 1930 DVD player as this has had good reviews and can be picked up quite cheaply on Ebay, would this together with one of the Onkyo receiver's give me 5.1 from SACD's?

4. simong80

simong80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm playing SACD's via HDMI with my PS3 and STR-DG820. Sounds amazing. You have to change the speaker size setting to get the full reproduction.

5. madhippy

madhippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe only the older 60gb ps3 supports SACD ... which is a bit annoying.

6. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The PS3 (if you can find an SACD compatible one) converts to PCM when outputting via HDMI rather than outputting the original DSD signal. Whether this will seriously affect your enjoyment of the music is an entirely different matter :)

7. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi joshQOTSA,

I think at the budget you're looking at you might be better off using the multi-channel analogue connections (something like the Denon 1930/1940 and a receiver with multi-channel inputs would be ideal). There are not too many receivers that convert a DSD signal received via HDMI to analogue and those than can tend to be a) fairly expensive and b) sometimes convert to PCM before converting to analogue (some people believe this adversely affects the sound quality).

In addition to the Denons, you could also try the Pioneer DV610 (approx £100), Yamaha DVDS1700 (approx £140), Oppo DV-981 (approx £115), Oppo DV-980 (approx £175 - this does output DSD over HDMI) or Cambridge Audio DVD99 (approx £150).

Good luck!