• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DG820 - Protector / speaker issue

SE10

Standard Member
Hi there,

over the last couple of nights when i've turned on my system the Protector system has kicked in. Last night I simply turned everything off and the plugs and it worked fine again.

Tonight, i'm constantly getting the Protector cutting out and getting a loud humm before the system cuts out.

The system has been in place for around 4 months and nothing has been moved, although i'm only using two Mordant Short speakers wired to the 'Front B' (L/R) which is adequate enough whilst I get the cash together for a full 5.1 surround system.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to why i'm getting the humm/protector issue? I've checked all the wiring and there doesn't seem to be any issues so not sure why this has started all of a sudden

cheers Pat

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Disconnect everything. If it still goes into protection mode, it's kaput. If not, connect one source/speaker at a time until the fault re-appears. Check that no stray speaker wires are touching adjacent terminals etc.

SE10

Standard Member
thanks davepuma

Tried all that, unplugged all HDMI leads, speakers etc and still the Protector kicks in. Any idea what could have caused this?

Luckily it is still covered under Richer Sounds warranty so guess what i'm doing this weekend :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom