Sony STR-DG820 HDMI Pass-through over-fills screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JohnnyBoateng, Feb 24, 2013.

1. JohnnyBoateng

JohnnyBoateng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

** EDIT: To use the correct terminology, my problem is "over-scanning". And I should point out that I've set XBMC to output at 1920*1080 **

** EDIT #2: Okay, so there's a feature in XBMC to adjust overscan. This is good. However, I still don't understand why my AV receiver adjusts the picture in the first place..? **

** EDIT #3: In fact, adjusting the overscan settings in XBMC doesn't help because, although the left-hand side of the screen can be fixed, the right-hand side is still slightly cut off. **

I need help regarding my Sony STR-DG820 AV receiver. Put simply, using it to pass through HDMI video, the video "over-fills" the screen so the extremities of the picture are lost.

I currently have my PS3 connected via HDMI directly to my television (Sony KDL 32D3000) for video and via optical to the AV receiver for audio. This is because I always experienced problems when trying to use HDMI pass-through. I simply gave up trying. As I recall, I could never get the audio to output in surround sound.

However, I now have a new application for my AV receiver. I have acquired a Raspberry Pi computer and I wish to use it as a media centre (bearing in mind my PS3 is not jail broken and therefore doesn't support MKV).

Up until now I have used my PC as a media centre, with it connected directly to the television via HDMI for video and to the AV receiver via coaxial for audio. The drawback is my PC is quite noisy due to its fans.

So I want to use the Raspberry Pi. I have a working XBMC setup and video works fine if I have the Raspberry Pi connected via HDMI directly to the television. However, I also want surround sound and the Raspberry Pi has neither optical out nor coaxial out.

So I'm back at the situation of trying to pass HDMI through my AV receiver. And that's where I hit the problem of the video over-filling the screen. By that, I mean the edges of the picture are cut off. So, for example, the clock at the top-right of XBMC is only partially visible.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to remedy the situation? Changing the picture mode (i.e. Smart, Wide, Zoom) makes no difference. I've also tried using Sony Bravia HDMI Control to synch the devices, but that makes no difference. The good thing is, I do seem to have surround sound.

Any advice will be gratefully received =)

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,494
    Not all AVR’s have a true ‘Passthru’ for the HDMI Video – it certainly sounds like your doesn’t, often its linked to the ability to ‘overlay’ the AVR GUI on top of the video signal and the AVR is always ‘processing’ the video signal!

Is the Pi set to Output 1920x1080p (60/50 or 24) on the way into the AVR?

We do have a solution to ‘extract’ 5.1 audio (via Optical) out of the HDMI stream the Pi is outputting – Media Factory - Octava HD11-ARC-UK, HDMI ARC processor + EDID emulator

Joe