Sony Str-Dg820 Crossover Advice Needed!

thebigjim

Standard Member
Hi Everyone, Been trying to best set up my system, I have the Sony STR-DG820 Amp, running the KEF 2005.3 speakers. I need to set the crossover on the amp for the fronts centre and surround speakers, anyone have any idea what to set it at? I have the input and crossover switches on the back of the Kube 2 set to max as KEF advise in their manual. Would appreciate it if someone knoes the answer. By the way, system sounds very good as is, just needs a bit of tweaking.

Thanks a lot.

PS The amp does not seem to let me change LFE at all, just crossover to the 3 sets of speakers (font, rear, center.!)

rwniel

thebigjim, browsing the specification of the Kef 2005.3 package suggests that their frequency range is 80hz - 27khz for the main surround speakers and 35hz - 150hz for the Kube 2 sub. So you can see there's some overlap (i.e. you could in theory set the x-over for the main surround speakers anywhere between 80hz and 150hz without leaving a 'hole' in the coverage). However, in practice the output level does drop off quite substantially given that the satellite speakers are of the compact kind. Likewise as you approach the higher frequencies, the sub levels drop off as well. Therefore the default x-over of 120hz is probably a good starting point.

Make sure the speaker pattern is set correctly i.e. 3/2.1 in the case of your 6 channel configuration. If it sounds 'very good' however then you are probably along the right lines. :)

Robert

thebigjim

Standard Member
thebigjim, browsing the specification of the Kef 2005.3 package suggests that their frequency range is 80hz - 27khz for the main surround speakers and 35hz - 150hz for the Kube 2 sub. So you can see there's some overlap (i.e. you could in theory set the x-over for the main surround speakers anywhere between 80hz and 150hz without leaving a 'hole' in the coverage). However, in practice the output level does drop off quite substantially given that the satellite speakers are of the compact kind. Likewise as you approach the higher frequencies, the sub levels drop off as well. Therefore the default x-over of 120hz is probably a good starting point.

Make sure the speaker pattern is set correctly i.e. 3/2.1 in the case of your 6 channel configuration. If it sounds 'very good' however then you are probably along the right lines. :)

Robert

Thanks a lot for this information I was thinking along those lines, have set it to 120 and yes it sounds very good. Still finding I have to set the sub to about -6 as its putting out an enormous amount of bass. Gonna put batman begins on in a minute in True HD and krank the system up for the first time. Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom