Sony str-dg820 Broken?

DavidDavenport

Standard Member
Hello all, hope someone can help??

I have a 6 month old str-dg820 in between my V+ box and Sony LCD all connected by HDMI.

I started losing sound, so turned everything off. When i turned everything back on, i had no sound coming from the amp.

The amp no longer displays the audio source, think it used to say something like LPCM.

Is my Amp broken already?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It is probably some settings that have been inadvertently changed. I would check the settings on your V+ box and then ensure that the amp is in auto mode. Also try different cables and different inputs on the amp to isolate any potential problems then post back with the results.

DavidDavenport

Standard Member
Don't think it's the V+ box, as i am also having problems with DTS encoded Vob files on my ps3. I have files on there that played fine until the sound loss.

The strange thing is, blu rays play fine?

Also, if i plug the hdmi cable directly into the TV, the sound is ok.

The amp is in auto mode, i have also tried a factory reset on the amp, still nothing from the V+

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Does it decode DVD's okay when you set the PS3 to bitstream? Do you have an optical cable to try with the V+? Presumably the amp is set to AFD?

DavidDavenport

Standard Member
OK, i have tried an optical cable from V+ to the amp and still no sound. I tried the amp on AFD and on the opt settings, still nothing.

Everything on PS3 plays ok except MKV's with DTS which have been converted to VOB and are on the hard drive. The PS3 used to play these no problem. I'm i right to think these two problems are linked?

Both problems started happening at the same time.

Forgot to say, i can get the amp to passthrough audio to the tv via hdmi connect. That works fine, so why won't the amp play the audio?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Given all your additional audio problems, I doubt what I'm going to suggest will resolve them, but have you ensured that HDMI audio override is tuned "on" within the V+'s settings?

This shouldn't affect the over components like your PS3, but would affect the V+ in the manner you describe.

DavidDavenport

Standard Member
Yeah, it's set to on at the moment.

Just before i lost sound, the audio became intermittant, on and off every couple of seconds, with LPCM flashing on and off on the amp.

I presumed it was the V+ box playing up, so restarted it. Lost sound completly when the V+ box came back on.

Wish i'd have paid a little extra for the Onkyo now!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yeah, it's set to on at the moment.

Just before i lost sound, the audio became intermittant, on and off every couple of seconds, with LPCM flashing on and off on the amp.

I presumed it was the V+ box playing up, so restarted it. Lost sound completly when the V+ box came back on.

Wish i'd have paid a little extra for the Onkyo now!!

Generally speaking, the STRDG820 seems pretty reliable. I own one myself and yours is the first real fault I've ever seen reported here. It is looking as though it is a fault with the receiver so I'd get in touch with either the retailer you purchased it from or Sony themselves. It is still under warranty so there shouldn't be a problem with either having it fixed or getting it replaced. You may even end up with a STRDH800 if a replacement is required?

DavidDavenport

Standard Member
Thanks for everyones help.

I emailed superfi today, haven't had a reply yet. Hopefully, they'll look after me.

Any one here had to return anything to them?

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom