• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DG820 and PS3 setup help

L

lloydster77

Hi,

I've just purchased a
Sony STR-DG820 amp with the excitement of linking it up to my PS3 but whatever I do I can't seem to get any sound to come out of the amp. I've tried many different cable configurations and played with the menu set ups of the PS3 and the amp but after 4 hours of trying I am still having no luck.
I'm linking this up with a
Samsung 42" plasma (PS42A457P1D)
Please help??

StevieBuck

For the best sound quality, connect the HDMI from the PS3 to the amp, then use a second HDMI from the amp to the TV.

Make sure you select HDMI as the audio out in the PS3 menu, and that all the supported formats are ticked as well (or just leave this at automatic).
If you have all the speakers setup correctly, all you should have to do now is select the correct input on the amp for the sound to play through the speakers.

L

lloydster77

Thanks for responding.
I've managed to get the sound working but I don't think this is the best set up got the equipment. I've linked the ps3 to the amp with hdmi, the amp (output) to the tv with hdmi, and then i have an optical from the ps3 to the amp and another optical from the tv output to the amp. As long as I have the amp set to tv I get sound from dvd's & games now but shouldn't I be using the dvd settings option on the amp? And wouldn't this affect the sound performance give the ps3 audio source is having to go through the tv to get to the amp?
I've tried linking the ps3 directly to the amp with hdmi and then a hdmi from the amp to the tv but couldn't get this to work? Wouldn't even get visuals with this set up?

ChrisAV

You should only need HDMI to connect the PS3 to the amp, and then HDMI from amp to TV. If you get a picture on the TV then you should get sound from the amp. Note however that if you are trying to play HD audio the the PS3 must be set to output using LPCM.

Chris

StevieBuck

Chris is right - you should only need the HDMI to connect the PS3 to the amp, as this will carry both audio and video.

Have you selected the correct source on the amp using the Input Selection dial on the front panel or remote control? If you have the PS3 connected to the HDMI marked "DVD IN", make sure you select DVD, or select BD if connected to "BD IN", etc.

As soon as you have the correct input selected, the amp will begin to pass through the video onto your TV, and start playing the sound through the speakers. Of course if you're on the PS3 menu you won't hear anything, but the speaker lights on the panel will light up indicating you're getting an audio signal.

The optical will give you surround sound, but it doesn't support all the formats whereas HDMI will. This is why it's best not to have it connected this way.

You should keep the optical cable between the TV and the amp connected as this will allow you to watch TV (analogue/Freeview) and have the sound playback through your surround speakers. In addition to audio from TV channels, the TV will also passthrough sound from any external devices - which you found out earlier as you got your PS3 to do this. The problem with this though, is that the TV will only output stereo sound. So you were correct when you said you thought it wasn't the best setup.

ChrisAV

You should keep the optical cable between the TV and the amp connected as this will allow you to watch TV (analogue/Freeview) and have the sound playback through your surround speakers.

I assume you mean optical out from TV to optical in on the amp, as opposed to the otherway around, in which case I agree?

Chris

StevieBuck

I assume you mean optical out from TV to optical in on the amp, as opposed to the otherway around, in which case I agree?

Chris

Yes, optical out from the TV to optical in on the amp.

I know what I'm on about, it just deosn't always look that way after I've finished typing it out ;)

ChrisAV

Yes, optical out from the TV to optical in on the amp.

I know what I'm on about, it just deosn't always look that way after I've finished typing it out ;)

I know the feeling, the only difference being I don't always know what I'm on about :D

Chris

L

lloydster77

Cheers guys, I've linked ps3 with hdmi via the amp and added the optical between the tv and amp as per your instructions.. and it's worked! I think the problem I had before when trying this set up was the amp settings were incorrect but all is well and I'm happy and thankful to you both. Cheers again!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom