sony STR-DG820 1080p issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lizap, Feb 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lizap

lizap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi guys

im having trouble with this amp accepting a 1080p signal, it will take and send anything else but 1080p. as soon as you change the output on the dvd players the picture flashes between black and noise also the sound drops intermitently, the display also flashes on the unit.

my setup is

Panasonic PZ70
    toshiba hd dvd player
    onkyo dvd player

ive tried powering down, swapping cables etc

please help

2. MarkLG

MarkLG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have you tried bypassing the amp and connecting to DVD player direct to the TV to see if it's the amp causing the problem or if it's something else??
    My Panasonic blu-ray player is always set to 1080p output and I haven't had any problems passing the signal through the Sony receiver to my Panny TV.

3. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    You'll need some good quality HDMI cables to acheive this successfully.

4. lizap

lizap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yeah had no probs before the amp was put into the loop, will check again just incase though.

the ones im using are a mix of the one that came with the toshiba, supermarket and ebay jobbies. wont all pass 1080p? as stated no probs direct to tv.

richer sounds said the same thing but were trying to sell me ixos one at the same time

also no probs getting true hd etc over hdmi?

5. philaitman

philaitman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I may be wrong here but even if they work when connected direct to the TV it may still be a cable issue.

Direct to TV 1080p+stereo sound
    With Amp 1080p+HDaudio which is a fair higher bitrate, so could this be pushing it over what the cable can handle.

UKHDMI do great cables at super prices I've got them on all my HDMI kit with no issues. Have a look in the cables forum for reccomendatiopns.

6. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i had the 820 and the hdmi signal kept dropping out, but it was randomly happening. dont buy into the cable issue rubbish, i am using cheap cables (none over a fiver) from ebay and tesco value ones etc, and they pass a full 1080/24p signal to my amp>display with no problems. if the cables are short enough it wouldnt make any difference.

i sent the 820 back and richersounds asked no questions, the amp was faulty and that was that! nothing to do with cables lol i had it replaced with the 2400es and the same cables are working fine with that ;)

andy

7. lizap

lizap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for the replies, im not gonna buy any more cables to see unless im 100% sure thats the case. ill have to send it back so no amp for god knows how many weeks.

8. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    how long have you had the amp? i did a direct exchange with a courrier, i packed up the 820 the day they were due and then swapped it for the new one, easy as that. as long as its within 28 days of purchase you will be fine, they didnt even hesitate in doing the exchange. i paid the extra for the 2400es though the second time around as i was a bit more flush at the time ;)

andy

9. lizap

lizap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    its been at least 2 months now i think, they said i need to take it to them and they will send it away

10. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    there is a set amount of time for a repair to be done known as a 'turn around period' if it takes any longer they will have to either give you a replacement or a refund. did you take out the 5 year supercare? if you did and you take the unit into your local store they will give you a loan amp. or maybe you could get them to test it in there store with cables they have there, if they are so sure its the cables then i cant see why they wouldnt do it.

if you look at this logicaly then its quite obvious its a fault with the receiver. you say that you have tried an asortment of cables and NONE of them work, i find it hard to believe its the cables as have the same sort of cables as you (cheap ones, none over £8) and ALL of them work with in any configuration, so the chances that all of yours dont work is a bit far fetched. in fact the one going from my bd player to my amp is a tesco value one that has silver connections and that passes the 1080/24p with full hd audio to the amp. and then there is the fact that you say they work when connected directly to your display...

hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon:smashin:

andy