• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DG710 - Source Converstion to HDMI

woodbo

Standard Member
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Can Sony STR-DG710 take inputs by component or other sources and convert to HDMI? I will have multiple sources with want minimum of cables from amp to tv as it will be wall mounted.

If this is not possible can you recommend a similar amp that will?

Thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
No it doesn't. See here. The next model up in that series, the 910 & 1200ES do (see lengthy owners threads) which you might be able to get hold of at a discount. The new 720 doesn't either, the 920 will but I'm not sure about the 820. These are due out in the summer AFAIK.

The Denon 1908 can upconvert and although I've not heard one myself, I have heard the older 1907 version and it was a cracking amp at the price.

Edit - What are you going to connect? Some amps only upconvert from component to HDMI but I wouldn't bother with lesser connections. Everything should be component or go direct to the TV via SCART (RGB). If you have any SCART sources, you might need converters to connect them to an AV Receiver via component.

garlik_bread

Established Member
Just checking here.

Say i were to connect my Wii to the dg710 via Component, i would NOT be able to get that signal to the TV over the HDMI port? I'd have to pass the signal through via the Composite out to the TV?

But the dg910 would convert it to HDMI and push the signal through?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Correct, you can check the specs on the Sony site (see above link). The 710 doesn't upconvert, the 910 does. You might struggle to find a new one though. The new 820 is out soon but I'm not sure what the specs of it are, it's not listed on the UK site. Perhaps check the US site but often amp specs can differ from region to region but I would imagine upconversion would be a feature common throughout.

garlik_bread

Established Member
Correct, you can check the specs on the Sony site (see above link). The 710 doesn't upconvert, the 910 does. You might struggle to find a new one though. The new 820 is out soon but I'm not sure what the specs of it are, it's not listed on the UK site. Perhaps check the US site but often amp specs can differ from region to region but I would imagine upconversion would be a feature common throughout.

I've been looking at the 820 as it looks like alot of spec for the money. I've been toying with the idea of 710's and 910's second hand. but even SH they seem to go near enough the price of these new 820's (when they come out, £229 from play.com)

Unless i could find a 710 for silly cheap, i think i'll save and get the 820 or at least a heavily discounted 910 once the 820 comes out.

:thumbsup:

chic

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at the 820 as it looks like alot of spec for the money. I've been toying with the idea of 710's and 910's second hand. but even SH they seem to go near enough the price of these new 820's (when they come out, £229 from play.com)

Unless i could find a 710 for silly cheap, i think i'll save and get the 820 or at least a heavily discounted 910 once the 820 comes out.

:thumbsup:

i am sure i have read the 820 doesnt upconvert either so i would check on that before you buy.

According to the folks in the states the 820 wont upconvert component signals to hdmi, so if you connect a source by component it has to go by component to your tv.
The 920 upconverts to hdmi as will the 2400es.

Last edited:

garlik_bread

Established Member
i am sure i have read the 820 doesnt upconvert either so i would check on that before you buy.

According to the folks in the states the 820 wont upconvert component signals to hdmi, so if you connect a source by component it has to go by component to your tv.
The 920 upconverts to hdmi as will the 2400es.

AH right, well that makes a difference to my decision then! Thanks for the info, might be better off with the 910 after all. 2400es is a bit out of my price range TBH!

chic

Distinguished Member
AH right, well that makes a difference to my decision then! Thanks for the info, might be better off with the 910 after all. 2400es is a bit out of my price range TBH!

well the 910 is a good choice if you can find one, it can accept mulitichannel pcm so you can get hd audio and it upconverts component to hdmi. I know this because i had one for a while and i had my s360 connetced by component and output by hdmi and i could get hd audio from my ps3 and toshiba e1 and e-30

garlik_bread

Established Member
well the 910 is a good choice if you can find one, it can accept mulitichannel pcm so you can get hd audio and it upconverts component to hdmi. I know this because i had one for a while and i had my s360 connetced by component and output by hdmi and i could get hd audio from my ps3 and toshiba e1 and e-30

From what i hear you're the local 910 legend! lol.

I am tempted, and for £199 it seems like a good deal but my budget was a bit less as i was looking for SH...but might just be worth getting brand new!

chic

Distinguished Member
From what i hear you're the local 910 legend! lol.

I am tempted, and for £199 it seems like a good deal but my budget was a bit less as i was looking for SH...but might just be worth getting brand new!

yes i was for a bit,:D now moved on to the HarmonKardon 255 and i sold my 1 year old one for £170 so £200 for a new one is a bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom