Sony STR-DG700 doubts....

punit12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a noob, and have just received my new Sony 6.1ch amp (named in the title). When flicking through sound modes, I am beginning to doubt the ability of this amp...

There is a button on the receiver, which says A.F.D.- this is "Auto Format Direct" mode and from here, you can select AFD auto, DPL, DPLII (movie/music/game), DPLIIx (movie/music/game), and Neo:6 (cinema/music)- and also Multi Stereo.

there is another button which says "Movie", and this lets you select Cinema Studio Ex (a, b or c).

Another button, which says "Music" lets you select Hall, Jazz Club, or Live Concert.

These are all of the surround modes, but if I want to listen to "DD5.1" or "DTS", isn't there any setting on this receiver that will allow me to do this, or is DPLIIx the right setting for DD5.1/DTS?

Also, sound (dialogue) via optical from a Sky+ box in any mode (apart from Multi Stereo) is very distorted from the LS and RS speakers. The voices appear to have a very watery/martian/ whatever it's called effect. I am thinking that this is the effect of the Sky+ box, as dialogue from a dvd player is perfect?

Sorry if i sound like a complete fool!

If it's anything like my old reciever AFD stands for Auto Format Decode. With AFD selected if your source is outputting DD 5.1, DTS the reciever will decode and output DD 5.1, DTS.

HTH

Druboo said:
If it's anything like my old reciever AFD stands for Auto Format Decode. With AFD selected if your source is outputting DD 5.1, DTS the reciever will decode and output DD 5.1, DTS.

HTH

Thanks for your reply Druboo, will try this with a source and see if it works.

The Sony AFD takes a bit of getting used to, admittedly.

It works on the basis that, if set to AFD AUTO, the receiver will output whatever format the original sound is - so in the case of, say, a DVD player connected via either a coaxial or optical, then normally the receiver will output Dolby Digital (you'll notice this because there should be a nice blue strip appearing at the top of the display - I assume this has been carried over to the DG700 - I own the older DB790).

If however you are inputting an analogue signal - say from an old school CD player with only left and right phonos, and no digital output, then the AFD AUTO will simply pick up 2 channel stereo - it is then when you can apply the surround modes you mention - DPL, DPLII (movie/music/game), DPLIIx (movie/music/game), and Neo:6 (cinema/music). Movie/Music are Sony's proprietary surround formats (they're nothing special in my book and probably best avoided).

To get DTS output from your receiver normally requires you to select the DTS soundtrack option from a DVD disc title menu - you won't get it any other way.

With regards to your sound problem, have you tried it just in stereo (AFD AUTO) ? What happens then ?

clayts450 said:
The Sony AFD takes a bit of getting used to, admittedly.

It works on the basis that, if set to AFD AUTO, the receiver will output whatever format the original sound is - so in the case of, say, a DVD player connected via either a coaxial or optical, then normally the receiver will output Dolby Digital (you'll notice this because there should be a nice blue strip appearing at the top of the display - I assume this has been carried over to the DG700 - I own the older DB790).

If however you are inputting an analogue signal - say from an old school CD player with only left and right phonos, and no digital output, then the AFD AUTO will simply pick up 2 channel stereo - it is then when you can apply the surround modes you mention - DPL, DPLII (movie/music/game), DPLIIx (movie/music/game), and Neo:6 (cinema/music). Movie/Music are Sony's proprietary surround formats (they're nothing special in my book and probably best avoided).

To get DTS output from your receiver normally requires you to select the DTS soundtrack option from a DVD disc title menu - you won't get it any other way.

With regards to your sound problem, have you tried it just in stereo (AFD AUTO) ? What happens then ?

Hi, erm with AFD AUTO the dialogue is fine and crisp!
is it just a problem with sky?

Actually, thinking about it, that's pretty much how it should sound - LS/RS (assuming you mean left and right surround) are effects channels so won't carry a full strength dialogue signal for non 5.1 Sky : they should, however, kick in when you're watching one of the 5.1 Sky movies.

A good test (pardon the pun) for ensuring surround sound processing is working is to tune into the test cricket currently on Sky Sports 1 whilst live cricket is in play.

Selecting Neo 6 Cinema, you should be able to hear crowd hubbub spread around the room and you should feel enveloped by crowd chatter :lol: It won't sound as if it is coming from any specific speaker (and neither should it).

If you get that, everything would seem to be working fine ;)

clayts450 said:
Actually, thinking about it, that's pretty much how it should sound - LS/RS (assuming you mean left and right surround) are effects channels so won't carry a full strength dialogue signal for non 5.1 Sky : they should, however, kick in when you're watching one of the 5.1 Sky movies.

A good test (pardon the pun) for ensuring surround sound processing is working is to tune into the test cricket currently on Sky Sports 1 whilst live cricket is in play.

Selecting Neo 6 Cinema, you should be able to hear crowd hubbub spread around the room and you should feel enveloped by crowd chatter :lol: It won't sound as if it is coming from any specific speaker (and neither should it).

If you get that, everything would seem to be working fine ;)

Thank you- I tried my DVD player with AFD- and the blue strip appeared- yay!!:thumbsup:

No blue strip appeared with sky though (it is set to output dd5.1 via optical). I don't have sky movies, but will the blue strip appear with the cricket?

Cheers

No blue strip on Sky+ except for movies broadcast in 5.1 :(

Have a play around with Prologic and Neo. I prefer Neo6 myself - broader soundstage (my 790 doesn't have Pro Logic IIx). If you don't have a surround back speaker you should be able to divert that channel on Neo6 to the left and right rear surrounds :)

clayts450 said:
No blue strip on Sky+ except for movies broadcast in 5.1 :(

Have a play around with Prologic and Neo. I prefer Neo6 myself - broader soundstage (my 790 doesn't have Pro Logic IIx). If you don't have a surround back speaker you should be able to divert that channel on Neo6 to the left and right rear surrounds :)

hmm, yes i like Neo6 as well. prologic has too much watery voice distortion!!
when on music channels, i just switch to 2ch.

the blue strip looks really cool:D !

and yes, i have a rear centre so it's all good!
thanks for helping me out!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom