1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony str-de697

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by scm1_2000, May 10, 2005.

1. scm1_2000

scm1_2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Looking at buying this amp for home cinema. Can anyone out there give me any more info about it eg is it any good?
    cheers

2. Cinemafinder

Cinemafinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't, I admit I've never heard the Sony 697 but by reputation alone, low end Sony Recievers are extremely bright and well tacky. If your buying from richer sounds I recommend you look at both the pioneer 301 and the Marantz 4400 £140 and £170 respectively - ask for a listen compared to the sony.

If your insistant on a Sony, look in Super Hifi and the Sony 790 at £200.
    Hope this helps - I use a Denon 3801 as my Home Cinema amp and that rocks. :D

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Kind of in the wrong forum,

But DO NOT BUY THAT AMP (obviously my opinion), i had it for a while, it was terrible for music, bad for movies (although i kinda liked 7.1) and i got terrible lipsync on the following, rendering it useless:
    - Sky through DTS:Neo 6 (lipsync started ok then got worse and worse till i restarted amp)
    - Any DTS movie (5.1 or 6.1 in any mode matrixed etc)
    - Dolby Digital Movies played in 6.1 (whether they were 5.1 or EX)
    - And if i left it long enough i got lipsync problems with pro logic 2 (also note it doesn't have pro logic IIx)

I cannot imagine how it would of handled Dts 96/24!!! It claimed it could!

It wasn't my unit i got another one to try and fix it, same probs. Came on here and got a CA Azur 540R, and ive never looked back, its phenominal.

The Sony has all the tech specs, and has a very nice interface etc (you could name inputs and all that) but in the end i prefer good sound over gimmicks.