1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR DE585 + PS2 Optial Link

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by handers101, Apr 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. handers101

handers101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , new to the forum, i hope this is the correct place, need a question answering if anyone can help,

I Have just got an optical cable for my ps2 and just tried playing a dvd, the amp pics up the source, but will only play the audio through the front two channels and the sub, i cant seem to find anyway of getting the amp to play the dts or ddpl2 output from the ps2. does anyone know how to fix the prob or had a similar prob.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  3. handers101

handers101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Looked at the setting and have now got dts working on dvd's still cant seem to get ddpl2 working on the games such as burnout 3

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I assume you mean Pro Logic II ? If so i'd guess that it's then an amp issue rather than a PS issue.

5. handers101

handers101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the prologic II, oh well cant seem to find a fix, just seems odd that the amp can pick up the dts dvd output but not the prologic output from the games... its an odd one thats got me baffled and cant seem to find anyone options to play with lol, oh well :)

6. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prologic surround is extracted by the amp from the stereo (2 channel) signal, if set correctly. From PS2 you can't get in-game DD or DTS, but PL (or PL2 for 5 discrete channels or PL2x for 6 or 7 semi-discrete channels!) works fine. Especially on Burnout, with cars passing by etc.

7. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Btw the amp doesn't know when the (stereo) signal is encoded with surround, so always have the amp on DPL, or "DPLII(x) Game" if you have this option, when you play games. Sounds good even on non-surround games.

8. handers101

handers101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so have the amp do the decoding of the 2channel source outputed by the ps2?

9. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the amp decodes the surround-sound encoded in the stereo-signal, if you tell it to do so. I only use analog connection, but should work fine and sound even better with digital (optical) connection. This is how you get surround from TV or VCR or other 2-channel surround-encoded sources too. All Dolby Surround sources/signals or decoders/amps are more or less compatible, but you should use the newest decoder you have (DPLII or DPLIIx) regardless the 2-channel surround source. For AV-use (TV/VCR/PS2 etc) you could/should leave the decoder turned on even on non-surround-encoded sources, except stereo music maybe.

10. handers101

handers101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers For The Help :)

11. punit12

punit12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    this might be a long shot, but i was just reading this to get dts from my ps2 (in movies) but on the audio setup menu, only dd5.1 and mpeg2 can be changed; dts is in grey- and my dvd (elektra) suppsosedly has dts encoding?
    can anyone help?
    thanks