1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DE585 Or Sony STR-De685?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hunkiemunkey, Jul 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there.

Is it worth paying an extra £40 to get the Sony STR-DE685 over the Sony STR-DE585?

Thanks

John

2. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    John

I think so - SACD tuned, more power, front A/V inputs, digital out (ideal if your DVD/CD player only has coax out for recording to MD for example), support for extra set of speakers.

585 is supposed to be released first week of August, 685 the week after - I'm definitely going for the 685 as soon as it's out, so I'll post my thoughts to the forums.

You can see some photos and good spec listing on the excellent Crutchfield.com site

If you have a look at the pictures, perhaps you can tell me where the additional set of front speakers connect - I can't see any extra terminals!

Hope this helped

Super7

3. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice.

I was also wondering if anybody has an info on the new Sony STR-DB780??

I ca either get that 1 or the STR-DE685. I havent heard any of them in action, any comments?

Lastly because the STR-DB780 is a "QS" Range receiver, do this mean it will have better sound quality over the E-Line STR-DE685?

Andy help will be much appreciated

John

4. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is now an updated photo of the rear of the STR-DE685, which now DOES have a second set of speaker terminals. I presume the earlier photo was a pre-production unit...

5. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HiFiBitz have them both (585 and 685) at the unbelievably low price of £193.99, which as far as I can tell includes VAT and delivery. I don't know if this is a mistake, but it's been that way for at least a week.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R Sounds do a strde875 for £200. Don't no whether this is better, but the number is bigger so could be:rolleyes: