• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DE495 - Remote not working + what speakers?

MrBeer

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of re-arranging my home cinema setup due to the purchase of a new TV (Toshiba XV555D). I have had my Sony STR-DE495 for a good few years now and it's always worked just fine but about 2 months before I got my new TV the remote stopped working on the Sony which has lead me to put it in the loft and begin sourcing a new home amp. However, due to hard times I've decided to see if I can figure out what is wrong with the amp/remote and get it working again rather than spend money I don't have on a new unit. What I'm asking is...

1: How can I diagnose the problem? Is there a way to tell if it is the amp or the remote that is not working? (I have tried the obvious new batteries).
2: Can I get a 'universal' remote that will work straight away in place of the original? It would need to be able to change source inputs and volume, anything else I can go to the unit and change.
3: My new setup involves moving everything into a cupboard. All my other equipment works via bluetooth/wireless so I don't need line of sight. Is it possible to use some kind of extender and put the reciever for it ontop of the cupboard?

Also, the speakers I had originally (Gale's, can't remember the exact model) are far too large to go in the frontroom now and i'm looking at downsizing to fit in nicely with the TV. I'm concered that smaller speakers won't give a great sound and wanted an opinion on Yamaha NS-P110's? It's a 6 speaker setup (which I plan to wallmount except for the bass unit) that is rated at 100w apparently (seems a lot for small speakers). The Sony only outputs at 50w per channel so the speakers seem like a good deal as I can get them for £80 (haven't listed where from as I'm not sure about linking to companies on this forum).

My home setup if this all goes to plan will include:

Toshiba Regza XV555D (42" 1080p, Freeview)
Sony STR-DE495
Yamaha NS P110
HTPC - Windows XP Media Center
Nintendo Wii (PAL)
Sony PS3 (PAL)

I just need help figuring out if the amp problem is fixable or not.

Any help greatly appericiated. :smashin:

jimi777

Standard Member
hi mate

I have the strde485e model and have the same remote problem. how ever the power button on the remote works. Does anyone have any ideas whats doing this? It just happened all of a sudden.

i have changed the batteries and also reset the receiver but this has not worked.

MrBeer

Established Member
Nice to see it's not just me! The power on/off on mine doesn't work either so at least you have something! ;)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of re-arranging my home cinema setup due to the purchase of a new TV (Toshiba XV555D). I have had my Sony STR-DE495 for a good few years now and it's always worked just fine but about 2 months before I got my new TV the remote stopped working on the Sony which has lead me to put it in the loft and begin sourcing a new home amp. However, due to hard times I've decided to see if I can figure out what is wrong with the amp/remote and get it working again rather than spend money I don't have on a new unit. What I'm asking is...

1: How can I diagnose the problem? Is there a way to tell if it is the amp or the remote that is not working? (I have tried the obvious new batteries).
2: Can I get a 'universal' remote that will work straight away in place of the original? It would need to be able to change source inputs and volume, anything else I can go to the unit and change.
3: My new setup involves moving everything into a cupboard. All my other equipment works via bluetooth/wireless so I don't need line of sight. Is it possible to use some kind of extender and put the reciever for it ontop of the cupboard?

1. You can test the IR remote with a digital camera or mobile phone to see if it is actually sending signals.
2. I checked the Logitech Harmony software and your amp is in the database. The Harmony range starts at around £40-50 for the 525 model. I use the One now and it's the best remote I've owned (originally started with Pronto). The Harmony will also control Windows MCE if you have a remote receiver etc. for the HCPC.
3. Keene sell a range of IR extending equipment. I use it in a bedroom setup where all the kit is in a wardrobe. Alternatively the Logitech Harmony 895 comes with RF so you can control equipment inside cabinets etc.

Also, the speakers I had originally (Gale's, can't remember the exact model) are far too large to go in the frontroom now and i'm looking at downsizing to fit in nicely with the TV. I'm concered that smaller speakers won't give a great sound and wanted an opinion on Yamaha NS-P110's? It's a 6 speaker setup (which I plan to wallmount except for the bass unit) that is rated at 100w apparently (seems a lot for small speakers). The Sony only outputs at 50w per channel so the speakers seem like a good deal as I can get them for £80 (haven't listed where from as I'm not sure about linking to companies on this forum).

The Yamaha are sold as part of the Yamaha AV63 and AV63+ packages and quite a few people use them. Obviously due to the size, specs and price, don't expect miracles but they do work well. The Jamo HCS5 A102 package is also highly regarded on the forum, as are the Canton setups available in the speakers powerbuy forum.

MrBeer

Established Member
Davepuma, thanks for the reponse, most appericiated.

I think I will try the Yamaha speakers purely for the price and look, as you say don't expect miriacles for the price but if they do me for a couple of years I can save up for something a bit better.

I've also found the manual for the reciever here:  | STR-DE495 | Sony Europe Customer Support Portal

(Jimi777, check the manual for your problem as well)

It details troubleshooting remote control issues so I will try all of these first of all. If they work then happy days! If not I'll take a look at the remote suggested.

Thanks for the feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom