• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DE485E strange speaker problem

ozgun

Novice Member
Hi all,
I'm having a strange problem with my sony DE485E receiver.
The receiver outputs 100W each on 5 channels and is connected to 100W speakers with matching impedance. I usually use it around volume levels 40-45. (It goes from mute to 73 in steps of 1)

The problem is, sometimes when I turn on the receiver, some channels won't output any sound. It happens on completely random channels, most of the time center or front right, but it also happens on other channels. But once I crank it up to, say, around 65, all the channels including the ones that were previously muted, start to work again and when I turn it back down it keeps working until I shut it off.

Shutting it off and back on, or slapping the receiver also works sometimes, but cranking it up and back down always works - even turning it up and back down without a sound input fixes the problem, until it's turned off again.

I really want to get this fixed, since it's annoying to crank it up and down, but being a college student (electrical engineering major) I'd like to do it at the DIY side.

What could be the cause of the problem, and what could be done to fix it?
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

crosseyed

Established Member
I would start by disconnecting everything and then reconnecting it again. Turn the amp off first. Sometimes connections become slightly corroded and need remaking. Do both ends of the speaker cables (amp end and speaker end). You could also unplug all inputs and then put them back again, the wiping action cleans them. You dont mention if it hapens with all or any one particular input.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom