Sony STR-DE475 - Centre Speaker problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sonysean, Jun 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi, i currently have the Sony STR-DE475 5.1 amp with Sony speakers, subwoofer etc.

Recently my centre speaker has been acting abit strange, every now and again when im either using my Xbox 360 or PS3 or virtually anything thats hooked upto my amp, the centre speaker basicly turns off.

It dosent do it on a regular basis, it just seems to be on completely random occasions.

I'll hear this "boom" or "loud click" type sound (coming from the amp or centre speaker) and then no sound comes from the centre speaker at all, all other 4 speakers and the sub are fine however, and if i turn the amp off and turn it on later chances are the centre speaker is usually working fine again.

I've checked the connections on the back of the centre speaker and the amp, and they all seem fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should i be looking to buy a new amp or centre speaker?

Also could anything seriously bad happen like anything blowing up etc? :D

Cheers for any info, help or advice :)

2. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Anyone got any suggestions to whether its most likely the amp or the speaker? :lease:

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    Hook up a different speaker to the centre channel terminals in order to determine if it is the speaker or the amp.

4. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    The click could be the centre speaker channel on your amp going into protection mode. Could be a number of reasons why:

Stray wires shorting out, check your centre speaker connections, just 1 really fine strand could be causing this on an intermittant basis

Could be an unsuitable speaker, you don't mention speakers on your signature but if they are perhaps left overs from an old all-in-one system then they could be wildly unsuitable (look for the impedance figure on the centre speaker) What make and model speaker do you have.

Could just be your amp is on its last legs and may eventually expire and either need replacing or repairing

5. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Unfortunately i cant test a different speaker at this time as i dont have any spare ones :(.

I've checked the wires on the rear of the speaker and the amp, also unplugged them, plugged them all back in etc a few times now.. has'nt made any difference :(.

The speakers are defonately suitable as they were bought in a package with the amp, and they are 8ohms and the right Wattage RMS to what the amp allows.

The centre speaker model i have is a Sony SS-CN225.

Im guessing this option is most likely the one for me :(.
    I dont know anything about taking amps apart (or speakers) and i doubt that its really worth paying someone or getting Sony to repair it as it probably isnt worth it as it is quite an old amp and the price they'd charge to fix it i could probably buy a new amp.

Could you (or anyone else) recommend any good amps? Nothing fancy as i dont have a high budget, but something that has atleast an optical and coxial inputs, i would prefer to have HDMI's on it but most of the amps with them are slightly out of my budget also.

Should i bother getting another Sony? Or pheraps an Onkyo or a Denon? Havent really looked into either much so no nothing about them.

Thankyou both for replying, any advice on getting a new amp would be greatly appreciated aswell.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
  7. sonysean

sonysean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: