1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB940, Sony DVP-S725D etc

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyp, Jan 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, yet another, "I’m a newbie, and a bit of a muppet, but do I plug my new Sony AV amp into the 13 amp socket, or does it run on batteries.....?" !!! Sorry, may be I can work out that one myself! ;-)

Seriously though, I would really appreciate some advice on connecting up my newly purchased Sony STR-DB940 AV amp. I intend to use it with the following Sony components: 29" 4:3 TV, DVP-S725D DVP player, Sony Nicam video (general use, including recording and movie playback etc) and a second mono Sony video for playback only (tape to tape recording use only). Currently, the DVD player and the main Nicam video are linked directly to the TV via high quality scart leads. The second mono video is linked to the Nicam video by scart also.

What is the best way to link all these components to the amp? (I have yet to buy any additional leads). The manual doesn’t really help much, as it is obviously not specific to the components I have.

Questions:-

1) My DVD player has 5.1 channel outputs (ie a built-in 5.1 decoder), do I connect these straight into the amp, or is it better to use the amp’s own decoder? If the latter, which connections on the DVD player and amp do I use? (there are: digital optical and co-axial, 2-channel audio, component video, etc)

2) I assume I just connect the 2-channel audio phono sockets on the TV into the amp to get the TV sound through my surround speakers (and turn the volume to zero on the TV) ?

3) Is there any benefit in connecting both video recorders to the amp, bearing in mind the mono video is only used for tape to tape recording?

4) I assume I should leave all the current scart leads attached as described above?

5) Do I have to do anything special in terms of connections and/or set-up on both the AV amp and DVD player in order to listen to normal audio CDs? Is it advisable to have a separate pair of stereo speakers connected to the additional front speaker outputs to listen to an audio source?

Sorry for all the questions!

Many thanks.

Andy P.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Here goes.

1) My DVD player has 5.1 channel outputs (ie a built-in 5.1 decoder), do I connect these straight into the amp, or is it better to use the amp’s own decoder? If the latter, which connections on the DVD player and amp do I use? (there are: digital optical and co-axial, 2-channel audio, component video, etc)

Connect the DVD player to your amp via a quality Digital coaxial cable.

2) I assume I just connect the 2-channel audio phono sockets on the TV into the amp to get the TV sound through my surround speakers (and turn the volume to zero on the TV) ?

No that would achieve nothing, anything that you want its sound to come through your amps speakers must be connected to the amp via phono/digital cables etc. If you want normal TV sound to come through the amp you do it through the VCR.

3) Is there any benefit in connecting both video recorders to the amp, bearing in mind the mono video is only used for tape to tape recording?

Probably not, since you aren't using it to play videos.

4) I assume I should leave all the current scart leads attached as described above?

Scarts are good, but you need to know about video standards. Scart can carry composite, svideo and RGB. Digiboxes and many DVD players support RGB which is the best of the 3, your DVD player does support RGB. You need to set it to RGB in the setup menu. Your TV probably only has 1 RGB capable scart socket (AV1?). Hopefully the TV will auto detect RGB once the DVD player has been setup.

5) Do I have to do anything special in terms of connections and/or set-up on both the AV amp and DVD player in order to listen to normal audio CDs? Is it advisable to have a separate pair of stereo speakers connected to the additional front speaker outputs to listen to an audio source?

You could try connecting the 2 channel stereo from the DVD player to the amp for CD playback, it may sound a little better.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited 02-01-2001).]