1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY STR-DB940 + SAVE705 Speakers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr_Colossus, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Dr_Colossus

Dr_Colossus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I recently bought a second hand Sony STR-DB940 receiver and the SAVE705 Sony surround sound speaker set with Sub Woofer. After connecting up all the equipment however I am not able to get any sound coming from the Sub Woofer. All the speakers work fine and give off a decent sound but the Sub Woofer for the size of it is a white elephant.
    Can anyone advise if they have any experience with the matter. The Sub Woofer is connected with one single cable from the Sub Woofer connection point in the receiver. I have connected it exactly as in the manual but fear that maybe a fuse or something may be blown in the Sub Woofer given it's inactivity. Can anyone advise?
    As a check I connected a Disk Man directly to the Sub Woofer to see if it gave out any sound but nothing. Given that all the speakers are connected using left and right cables is one coaxial cable all that's required for sub woofers? Also can anyone advise what the additional connections on the back of the Sub Woofer are for? They look like additional speaker connections to me but am confused as to what they are doing on the sub woofer unit.
    Thanks for all your help

2. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a search through the sonys menus and there is a setting for subwoofer on/off. make sure its turned on.

the speaker connections are for connecting to an amp that doesnt have a subwoofer output. i wouldnt connect anything to those as it may damage the sub if you are connected using the subwoofer output on the amp as well.

3. Dr_Colossus

Dr_Colossus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Magnet & Steel. Yes I can confirm that the Subwoofer on/off setting is set to on the the amp.
    Regarding the spreaker connections, how come there is 4 sets of connections (8 plugs in total) Would there not be just one set for the normal left and right cables?

4. Dr_Colossus

Dr_Colossus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ty Magnet. Yes I have it connected exactly as the sub manual says. There is a light on the sub and everything appears normal which is why I'm so confused with it, can't figure out why there's no sound. Will probably have to get someone to investigate it's innerds as perhaps an internal fuse may have blown of something of the sort.

5. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry mate, im not familiar with that sub, but i did have one of those amps for a short while. doesnt it mention the speaker connections in the sub manual?

isnt there a power on light on the sub at all?

if not have you tried the mains fuse?