Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony STR-DB940 Kaput!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thelaw, Jan 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a Sony STR-DB940 receiver that has been working fine up until today. All my analogue inputs work, but when it comes to SPDIF inputs (whether coaxial or optical) it just refuses to play any audio. It displays the input type, the blue light comes on if i feed it DD5.1 through the spdif, but it does not make a sound! same with the tone tests.

If anyone can offer me any advice on this problem, It would be greatly appreciated. I just can't work out whats going on with it.

Cheers,
    Jon

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You haven't hit the analogue direct button by mistake have you? On the front of the amp...

3. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My STR1080 did something very similar after being 'repaired'. Only got sound on analogue, nothing on digital or test tone. After being repaired (eventually) again, it turned out that the voltage regulator (I think) was knackered. Sounds like you'll have to ring the company you got it from. I just pray for your sake it wasn't Empire Direct or you'll be waiting a very long time for a working amp......:mad:

4. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

thanks for your replies.

James: I wish that was it, but it seems the problem is some faulty electronics (and I'm surprised, because this amp has been very reliable for me)

Rich: I actually bought the amp off ebay a good while back, I have got the list of Sony authorized repair centres off sony.co.uk, So I think I will take it down to the Sony Service Centre in Middlesex.

Cheers,
    Jon

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    You can't loose anything by resting the amp ,sometimes helps.