1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR DB940 - Center channel switching off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DeadKenny, Apr 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got a problem with my Sony STR DB940 where when the amp is first switched on the center channel will switch on and off for about half an hour until it's warmed up. There's a definite 'click' inside the amp, much like a reed switch sound, and with the case off I've found poking the circuit board will get it to click back in.

It's got progressively worse and more difficult to get it to stay on until it's warmed up, although sticking it on it's side seems to help.

Dry joint perhaps?

Problem is, how would I go about finding where it is? There are a few layers of boards in there and I'm not keen on pulling it all apart, especially with huge capacitors in there with the potential to deliver a fair shock I should think.

Or should I just bin it and get a new amp? :D

I've had it for a number of years now and I even got it dead cheap due to a screw up at RicherSounds (it was under their 50% buyback warranty think but they rang up 100% on my old amp and so it only cost me £99. I even questioned it and they just agreed it was a good deal :D ).

I've no idea what's good now though. I'm thinking maybe the pre/power amp route is perhaps the next step to take but I probably need better speakers too (mine are an old Mission Cinema pack but I forget which. No sub). With an integrated receiver I'd rather get one with DAB now if it has a receiver at all, but I don't think there are any?

2. robpow

robpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My STRDB940 just started acting up the other day and I took it to a Sony service centre and they quoted £120 to repair it, it was something to do with the microprocessor. Naturally I declined and I am now about to order a new Pioneer VSXD814 for £199 instead from Multizoneav.com

Matt

3. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well mine now completely refuses to play the centre channel (after a few months of it clicking on/off)

well annoyed. cost me £400, but then i guess that was 4 years ago.

now trying to figure out what i can whack on the credit card to replace it with.

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmm, interesting that someone else has the same problem. I just assumed it was a fault specific to mine (dry joint or similar), but if there's more than one instance of it then maybe it's a design flaw :thumbsdow.

I think mine's about the same age as yours too (just that I got mine through a major bargain :D ). Sadly it's over the 3 year warranty from RicherSounds.

5. PaulECoyote

PaulECoyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think my 4 year old STR-DB830 is going the same way... I'm loosing the centre and rear right speaker now and again... audable "click" noise from the amp when loosing and getting it back.

Anyone know of a budget (less then £200) replacement I could consider? RicherSounds a good place to shop?

6. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I also posted this exact problem with my (4/5 year old) DB940 a few months ago. I also didn't fancy paying upwards of £100 for a chargeable repair, so I am currently deciding what to go for...Quite like the look of the DB795.

7. robpow

robpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm... wonder if this is a design flaw in the product? Mine had only been used maybe 150 hours when it died. I don't think I'll be buying a Sony again.

Matt

8. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm definately never buying Sony again. My 735DVD player that i purchased at the same time died last year as well with the dreaded C100 (or something like that) error.

£750 or thereabouts for 3 years. Not a great return on investment.

(which reminds me, must update signature!)

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,983
    C13:00 error.... :(

10. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Guys, Sorry to bring an old thread back up but my Sony STR-DB840 has started doing this all the time for a few weeks now. click click click click, then no center speaker :suicide:

Did anyone manage to sort it out? or is it just a case of putting the thing in the bin, which I really can't afford to do at the moment :mad:

Another thing... will it be damaging my speaker in anyway?

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    From the first post it sounds like a dry joint to me, i have never had any such problems with the 2 amps i have had but i did have a sony tuner that kept loosing power and flashing on and off ,when i opened it up it had dry solder joints all round in main transformer.
    Please don't go inside the amp unless you know what your doing ,you could hurt yourself or even make thing worse.

12. Sull

Sull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I too have this issue with my STR-DB940. :( Like others it's 3 -4 years old and the centre keeps failing. At first I thought I was going deaf :) You can hear the relays clicking when you turn it on too.

If I whack the volume up it brings it back on but it is a royal pain in the arse. Just about to shell out for a TV so I would rather not shell out for a new amp too. Does anybody want to hazard a guess as to exactly what the issue is and a potential fix?

I've swapped speakers and wire so it's definately the Amp.

100 quid a year is not a sound investment. boo

13. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    mine is still doing it. It only seems to do it on prologic stuff, not DD or DTS. So I can still use it for DVD films, but not TV, I have to listen with crappy TV speakers. :(

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    Weird, I posted about something similiar to this this over the weekend...

I have only lost the centre channel once but have had this solenoid clicking noise for a few weeks now and it has been getting worse. My 940 is older than most mentioned here, at least 6 years I would say.

Strange that it is just the centre channel?

Sounds like time to start looking for a replacement which sucks as I am skint :(

15. pazzazz

pazzazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 940 has had the clicking spell as well but I lose fronts when it clicks - centre & rears are fine. Mine did it pretty much at random regardless of source. I switched over to the B output and its been OK every since but I suppose it'll be a matter of time. No use at all if you lose centre or rears I guess.
    Yamaha (757 prob) I think will be the replacement

16. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    got the same problem on my 830. except i dont hear a click ( maybe im too deaf) centre just cuts out , then i have to turn the amp on and off to get it working again, have had it for abour 5 years now so i have got goodd usage out of it, but baring in mind how much i paid it for not too happy, couldnt have come at a worse time either i am skint

17. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just an update. Mine's still doing it and getting progressively worse. I get frustrated now to the point of kicking it to get the centre channel back.

That it occurs to a number of people in a similar way suggests to me that this is a design flaw or really bad quality control.

It's going in the bin to be honest and I'm likely to get a Denon instead. I'm not too impressed by Sony quality these days. They used to be good (the old Sony DVD players were excellent) but things have gone downhill.

18. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I sold mine as faulty in the end on eBay for £30

19. Paul Mela

Paul Mela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    My STRDB930 did exactly the samelast month, lost the centre channel, then soon after all the other channels went one by one. Just replaced it yesterday with a Denon 2807.

20. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I had the STR-DB940 and all the channels starting switching off. It could be used for hours with no problems, then suddenly, no sound. The authorised Sony repairer couldn't find the fault, so I sold it as faulty. I replaced the Sony with a Pioneer receiver which has been great.

I've also the Sony DVP-S735D DVD player which had the common C13:00 error. Fortunately I eventually managed to repair that.

My Sony VTX-S760U satellite receiver started playing up as well but Sky replaced that.......I had a Sky subscription then.

All these items failed just outside the warranty period but Sony CS weren't interested at all. I very much doubt I will buy anything of much value from Sony again - although I'm sure there must be many happy Sony product owners out there.

21. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same thing has happened to my STR-DE875 :eek:

Will SONY even have a look at it if its out of warrenty? - if so, how much?

22. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    A Sony authorised repairer will certainly look at it for you even though it's out of warranty, but you'll almost certainly end up with a bill. The cost will be down to the particular repairer you take it to, it would probably vary quite a bit. I would first ask how much would it cost for them to take look at it and then give you a price for a complete repair. Some may offer a free estimate. When I took my 940 in they couldn't repair it, so there was no charge at all. I would say expect anything from £50 - £200.

23. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks will try!

24. Stenning

Stenning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have an STR-DB 940, I have not noticed any channels cutting out. However, the front right channel produces an intermittant crackle. It has been doing this for some months & is becomming so distracting that I no longer like using the amp & just use the TV's audio. The crackling gets louder as volume is increased & is definately not a speaker or wiring problem as I have swapped speakers & cables, and also tried the speakers of the auxillary "B" front speaker out connectors. Its is always the front right channel that is affected & it persits no matter what the source or decoding/DSP setting.
    I don't really want to shell out for a new amp just yet as I am saving for a HDTV.
    I wonder if any of you knowlegable souls could advise if this is a repairable fault.

Thanks in advance
    Paul.

25. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    * Bump *

The last few weeks my centre channel has been switching off/on so decided to have a look on here, seems like it's a common issue.

Although I've had my amp for 8+ years now so if it's not an easy fix I think I'll need to break out the credit card and find a replacement.

26. doctorG4

doctorG4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have DB930 Circa yr. 2000.

1) I had occasional switch off of the center but only when feed by analog (RCA). fiddling/moving the RCA in seemed to solve it. with digital input it is OK. Since cables are OK I suspect dry solder in center RCA connectors. (probably a different problem than posted here).

2) Occasional 5-6 times last year, crackles sounds in the real right loudspeaker. and it was not the loudspeaker ( I swapped). I suspect again ageing soldering as it "seems" vibration triggered.

Time to get a new Pio AX4ASi (I like Denon 4306 but I need Firewire for SACD/DVD-A)

docG4

27. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I ended up ditching it and getting a Yamaha DSPAX757SE.

It's a bit of an intermediate amp to tie me over until I eventually get one that does True HD or whatever when HD stuff is a little more settled, but pretty impressive nonetheless. Musically it's superior to the Sony I feel. The pure music mode helps here. I've been playing Flac files direct from my Squeezebox, using the Squeezebox's DAC (pretty good DAC by all reports), and phono into the amp on pure mode and the Flac's sound amazing. Certainly can tell the difference between them and even a good MP3. Just has more depth (dynamic range I guess).

Have to say I'm somewhat unimpressed by Sony standards these days. My Sony WEGA (KV-32FQ75) has just died also, forcing me to buy an LCD (not Sony I should add).

28. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I set it to 2-channel and it lasted for another week or so but those channels also started to cut out. The whole thing has now been replaced with a STR-DA1200ES. :D

29. Little_Donkey

Little_Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had this problem too, but my dad fixed it.
    Just a bit of soldering and voila fixed.
    The problem was that some soldering weared of, so some relay switches were loose, so just soldering those fixed the problem.

try hitting the receiver(with your hand) on the side, see if it fix the problem of if you hear the clicking.
    If it is then its the same problem as mine

30. 5punk3monk3y

5punk3monk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i managed to get the wiring diagrams for this amp (930) when my centre channel went it is inded the relay switch contact mine also had a faulty capacitor on the board which was causing this

cost me 35 quid to repair it locally by a tv repair guy

oh and dont hit it to hard or it will cut out lol just tap it