1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB930 "UNLOCK" problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by harry_uk, Jul 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. harry_uk

harry_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setup...

M&K Speakers
    Pioneer DVD 717player
    Sony STR-DB930 amp
    Sony WEGA 32FX60 tv.

I recently had a 10 year old family member run riot over my home cinema set up while i was out. Now my Amp picks up signals from my Pioneer DVD player as usual, and the multi channel blue light comes on as well, but i get an "UNLOCK" message for 5 seconds, and no sound at all it pumped out

I've checked all the leads and cables and they are all connected fine. There is no sound coming out whatssoever from the speakers. No background hiss neither. However, the amp is showing that it is picked up the DVD signals on the display. The display on the amp shows DVD... then it switches to "UNLOCK" and then Dolby Digital [3/2] as usual, but no sound. I have never seen that unlock prompt so i was wondering if that was the cause for my loss of sound from all the speakers?

I bought the amp 3 years ago and have redecorated the house as i am getting married this August. I have no idea where i may have placed the user manual for the STR-DB930. As such am finding it hard to watch DVD's with no surround sound. Can anyone help?

Fuses are ok.

Speaker switch is set correctly too.

Thanks

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    "Unlock" is displayed whenever the receiver fails to receive an incoming digital signal when it expects to.

If you've checked all of your connections, then the only thing I can think of would relate to the "Audio Split" function. You can set the receiver to "look" for a signal from either the optical, or coaxial input when it is set to DVD. I would suggest checking that the receiver is set up correctly to receive a signal and go from there.

I suspect your problems will be solved :)

Let me know if you need any more info :)

K.

3. harry_uk

harry_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I resetted the amplifier and cleared the memory. I then checked the input feed button to Coaxial.

When a DVD is played, the multi channel blue light on the amp comes on and the display changes to Dolby Digital [3/2]. The unlock feature no longer comes up, but i still get no sound.

I am going to check if the amp was not turned on at full volume by the 10 year old, thus blowing the speakers. That is my last option.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Have you checked the obvious - are the speakers switched on? (worth asking at least!)

If you're still having problems then I would suggest you have a slightly more serious problem :( Maybe get the amp to a service centre...

Hope you get it sorted...

K.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The little'un hasn't pressed the mute button by any chance. On my Sony 925 the only indicator for mute was tiny orange LED that looked like all the other tiny orange LED's on the machine.

6. harry_uk

harry_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked all the obvious guys.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your time in looking at this.

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Oh dear my memory's going :rolleyes: I've just remembered that my 925 did just 'die' a few times in my ownership. No sound. Though all the buttons worked, source switching, setup etc.

Have you left it unplugged for 15mins to an hour, it was the only way I found to get it back again. After moving to new house it never happened again so I have no idea why it did this

8. harry_uk

harry_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will try it tonight... thanks.