Question Sony STR-DB930 for TV/Vinyl?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by arj154, Dec 8, 2016.

1. arj154

arj154
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im trying to build my first proper AV Set up on a budget, I've managed to acquire a nice set of Mission 773's and a Mission 70AS subwoofer and I've been told that I'd be better off getting an old AV receiver rather than a plain stereo receiver for what I want.

my inputs will be;
    PS4,
    Xbox One,
    Chromecast audio,
    Pioneer Vinyl Player

The Sony STR-DB930 has popped up locally for fairly cheap and I know that this is a receiver which was highly revered years ago. I also spotted that the manual mentioned that the phono can be used for a turntable but I'm not sure if this will produce good sound for vinyl. I have a feeling it would do wonders for future expansion into 5.1 and it would serve well for my ps4 and maybe even my chromecast audio but will this do well for Vinyl Records? Would it do for now until I get a dedicated stereo amp for vinyl or would it just ruin the sound of the record?

Sorry I should add the types of things I like etc, I do like a bit of bass but not over powering bass. I quite like my Audio Technica MTH 50x's and I listen to a good range of music from Hip hop to noise rock to electronic music. I play mostly single player games and I watch a fair bit of sci fi and a lot of Netflix originals. I'll be using this in a 1 bedroom apartment so I wont be looking to get a 5.1 set up properly just yet, I just want a quality set up that I can upgrade in the future.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    I don't see any reason why a normal turntable setup wouldn't sound good with this amp.

I used to DJ in the 90s-00s, but sold my Technics to fund my way into a flatscreen TV, DVD and 5.1 audio. The amp I settled on at the time was the STR-DB930 and I went with the SA-VE705 speakers and sub set. Around 10 years ago I dismantled all my AV kit and it has been sat dormant ever since. That is until recently...

I've bought another set of Technics and they're connected to the DB930 via a mixer. I'm not using the Phono input for this, because the decks are grounded to the mixer. It was great hearing the amp successfully power up after all these years. I'm only using a stereo set up with the speakers and sub at the moment, as I don't need it for anything more right now, but it still sounds great.

The circle of life: I sold my Technics to buy this amp and now I'm using this amp with a pair of Technics.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If looking for a cheap start to AV I would look at the likes of Sony STR-DA2400ES as a possible start. It provides Moving Magnet(MM) phono support for a turntable but would also give access to 7.1 and HDMI connections.