1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony STR - DB925 and Haier 30" LCD TV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by manu1, Sep 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to use the two speakers built in to the sides of the Haier LCD TV as the front L and R speakers of my 5.1 system. The amp is the trusted old STR DB925 by sony.
    I realise these speakers are probably rubbish but I am pressed for space and have been banned by the home government from wall mounting any further hardware with which to teach the children valuable lessons in looking where they're going - and first aid.

I was planning on connecting the L+R audio inputs of the TV to the L+R speaker out of the amp (red + white plugs to TV and bared wires clasped into the amp). Will this blow the input of the TV?
    There are separate audio inputs on the Haier TV for Chromatic inputs (Cr Yb etc..) are these of any use?

Any views appreciated

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    it will damage the TV, the speaker outputs are amplified, the inputs on the TV are unamplified.

Does the amp have pre-outs? i.e. a set of phono outputs for all 5 speakers + sub?

the chromatics are video inputs. the only other thing i can think of is open up the tele and connect the amp directly to the internal speakers, but i cant imagine the impedances and powers matching.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would just say no. YOu are messing with things you dont know about and could potentially wreck all your kit.

The best thing would be to persuade the powers that be that you have to get some more speakers for the fronts and mount then higher so the kids cant walk into them or get floorstanders :devil:

4. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well ask a silly question.......

5. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>L+R audio inputs of the TV to the L+R speaker out of the amp (red + white plugs to TV and bared wires clasped into the amp

Never ever do this... that's no option and dangerous to your equipment and yourself.

However if you Amp has a “pre out” centre channel (RCA) than one could try that carefully.
    I must admit never done this and you do so at 100% own risk. Always turn of equipment when making connections (duh!!). If needed you'll have to get a adapter for splitting the single output into two (one RCA to Two RCA splitter) . for left and right, but you can try with one lead. Turn volume down on both before slowly adding volume.

Ideally you check the input specification of the rca tulip (L+R) connections in the TV manual and also check the output specifications of the centre out channel of the Sony Amp.

This is most likely not anything near a ideal sounding setup if it works at all.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Perfectly valid question if you dont know.

So what are you going to do then??