Sony STR-DB900 or Cambridge Audio 540R??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by J4KCF, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. J4KCF

J4KCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to enter into the Cinema sound market for the first time and I've been looking at the Sony STR-DB900 (£210ish) or the Cambridge Audio 540R v2 (£270ish).

My other half is insisting the receiver is a slim design to fit into our furniture, hence the Denon 1906 etc are out the picture. I am open to any suggestions on Make and Model, as long as its silverish in colour and slim build.

I'm looking at pairing it up with KEF KHT1005 or Mission M7s and in a few months a Denon DVD-1920 or similar. I'd ideally want to listen to CDs as well as watch DVDs, Sky etc and it will be connected to my Pioneer 436XDE.

Your views, comments and opinions would be very much appreciated. :smashin:

Thanking You

2. J4KCF

J4KCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please give me advise on a slim receiver? And if possible, which of the speakers would be best?

Thanks

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the Sony STR-DB930 and it's very good.
    These are about £150 now and I can't fault it.

4. chrisowe

chrisowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a STRDB930 for sale and it does sound excellent with the Kefs, it's not a slim design though unfortunately.:)

5. J4KCF

J4KCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, sadly the STR-DB930 aint an option, this is certainly a time where the missus says size matters and smaller the better!!! :(

6. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know that Sony model, but have heard a few others and the sound did not appeal to me. On the other hand it may appeal to you, so do demo the units on your shortlist.

As far as the CA 540R is concerned, I have had mine for close to a year(version 1) and I am really impressed by it, be it in stereo or HT mode.:thumbsup:

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Don't feel bad about missing on the 1906, the CA540r is way way better in the sound dept. Features are another story thou'.

Re. the sony, no clue have not heard them!

8. J4KCF

J4KCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. Think I'm heading to Richer Sounds sometime soon for the Cambridge. Only found 1 review of Sony and not too bad, but, Cambridge seems a bit stronger. Can't demo Sony as its net only.

9. Justhandguns

Justhandguns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found a few very short reviews about the STR-DB900 on the net, most people say it has a very 'digital sound'. The lack of connections is also a big issue as well. Also, you will find some tiny non-standard speaker connections as well. But the amp does look good.

10. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    db900 is suppose to be rubbish a 3 star product check for reviews on home cinema choice website. Cambridge will be better sony 798 is also very good that would suit the kefs alot better then cambridge. Cambridge would work better with proper hifi speakers though.