1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB870?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Angel, Dec 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any body know if it´s any good?
    I´ve allready ordered one, but still want to ask, if anyone knows if it´s a OK receiver... I´m only 16, do you think this receiver would be enough for me, to begin with...? This will be my second receiver...I use to ave a Philips dd/dts, but it sucked...
    It has some kind of virtual 6.1 dekoder, but is it any good?
    Does it make a big difference?

Thanks!

/Chris

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a Sony fan so I may be biased.

But the 870 is basically the replacement for the STRDB940 which is a very popular and competent machine over the last couple of years.

My machine has basically the same specs in terms of sounds quality ect (with the addition of the 6th amplification channel for a centre rear speaker) and I think they sounds quality is fantastic.

I have not seen a 870 reveiwed, but I think you could basically take the 1070 reveiws and use them as a music & home cinema quality assessment - to my knowledge the 1070 has received 1 bad, 2 good and 1 great review so far.

The matrix 6.1 just means it claims to be able to 'throw' a 'phantom' centre rear speaker in your room. I am not sure how effective this is, but it is a nice feature to have on top of normal 5.1

Hope this is some help to you.

3. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Craig,

I currently have a 28" Wega Widescreen, and have just bought a DVP-S735 DVD player. Next on the shopping list is an STRDB 1070, and eventually speakers and sub.

However, much as I like Sony, and indeed the Pascal speakers, I have read several unfavourable comments on them.

What speakers do you currently use, and can you recommend them?

Cheers,
    Iain

4. Angel

Angel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys know where I can read like review´s or comments on the 870 or the 1070???

The Sony dv-s735d It fits nicely on top of the receiver right!?
    I mean it´s the same series, if I´m not mistaken...! Thay both have this QS "body" right!
    How does it look together? Does anyone have a picture or something?

Thanks!

/Chris

5. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look at www.prcdirect.co.uk

..or HiFi magazines, or local stores...

I imagine the dvd players are pretty much the same (ie Sony 735's give or take letter - I think it may depend on where in the world you are, or wether or not its a multi region player). It is a highly recommended player going by reviews (again, just from browsing magazines over the months), and is indeed very slim and looks great alongside a silver amp.

Iain

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that the 870 is the 1070 without the six channel input and without the decoding for the extra rear channel.

All UK av mags have reviewed the 1070 and all were favourable except HCC who slated it.

Have a look at my thread under Magazine Feedback for further info.

Like Craig I am very happy with my 1070 and I use them with the Def Tech Pro Cinema speakers and Pioneer 545 DVD player.

Ian

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answering a few of the questions at once here.

1. Yes the 735 and 1070/870 look awsome together - obviously lokos aren't the FIRST priority, but it doesn't hurt for them to look impressive !

2. The DVP-735S has kicked arse in reviews I've seen, the only thing you should consider is that it is onyl single disk (many multi disk machine around nowadays. And secondly it is not SACD compatible, while the newer Sony range is.

3. The speakers I use are the Sony Bookshelf SSTX7S.
    Now many people are very critical of Sony speakers (as a rule) but I love these - they suit my system perfectly and they cost me under $300(OZ) each so they weren't crazy expensive.

4. The subby I have (and was very surprised by the performance of) is the Sony SAW M40 - for the money I don't imagine anything could come close. Although again many of the golden eared people would say you need to spend big money on sub woofers, but mine was only $380(OZ)

5. So all up with 6 speakers and 100W sub I paid under $2000 which is cheaper than the top line pascal speaker set up. (and you only get 5 speakers in the pascals!)

Hope this has been some help.
    Best of luck.

8. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sony 1070 really is a great amp. Got mine connected to a Rotel poweramp now for a bit more power!
    Just a quite note about Dvd players stacked on top of ampifiers, Dont do it. You could damaged the amp by blocking the air vents, even make your dvd player do funny things when that heats up. If it catches fire and burns your house down you might be liable and get no insurance pay out

9. Angel

Angel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Sony speakers to...I think they sound great (for the money value that is) I paid about 200 for them (all)...Then again it is my first speaker set up, so go easy on me...:)

If you would wanna c my setup, as it have evolved under the months, you can c some pics here:

http://www.dvdforum.nu/galleri/index.asp?act=sg&id=3263

Allthough, I probably should mention that it´s on Swedish.....Why? I´m Swedish (maybe that have something to do with it)! ;)

/Chris *.AKA.* Angel