sony str db795 went up in smoke!!

maxipogs

Standard Member
hi guys!

i have a sony str db 795 7.1 channel amp. it was working last night. but then, as i turned it on this am, there was a loud hissing sound on the center channel so i took the cable off and cleaned it the reconnected it back. as i was reconnectig it, something sprked and smoke came off from the vent grill. it still turns itself on but there is a flashing protect text on the screen. what does it mean? can anybody give me an advice on trouble shooting or tell me what to do or what does it mean?

Dankeech

hi guys!

i have a sony str db 795 7.1 channel amp. it was working last night. but then, as i turned it on this am, there was a loud hissing sound on the center channel so i took the cable off and cleaned it the reconnected it back. as i was reconnectig it, something sprked and smoke came off from the vent grill. it still turns itself on but there is a flashing protect text on the screen. what does it mean? can anybody give me an advice on trouble shooting or tell me what to do or what does it mean?
There's a number of things logic would say could cause this. Most likekly would be either a short-circuit (although the Sony's IIRC are normally pretty good as they have circuit protection built in), or failed components suchs as capacitors that can go quite badly like this.

Personally I'd suggest contacting a retailer and advising what the issue is and see what the cost to investigate might be and a vague estimate what it might be and how much it might cost. Then weigh this against the benefits of getting a new amp and how much you'd have to spend etc.

Hunch that you're more likely to end up getting a new amp as a repair might not be worth it.

The fact that smoke came out would normally suggest that at least one component in the equipment needs replacing.

Dan.

paul-av-tech

Novice Member
Possibly a write off, the protection circuits are good but not infallable. From memory if think this is the model where the set will refuse to work when any one power amp fails. The protection circuit cannot be isolated either, so the recommedation from Sony is to change all power amps!.

May be wrong on the model as I say, but tend to agree with the previous writer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom