1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB795 or Pioneer VSX-915

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve T, Aug 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all.

My old Sony STR-DB940 has finally given up the ghost and I'm having difficulty deciding what to replace it with.

I've a modest setup with 5.1 requirements (unlikely to go to 6.1/7.1) and will be using the receiver for 80% movies and about 20% music. I've seen the lengthy thread on the buzzing noise on the STR-DB795, is this something that's been resolved? I wont need anymore power than the DB940 delivered (that's what having a 3 year old daughter does for you! :) ), but would like something of equivalent quality and want to pay no more than about £300.

Would either of these two fit my bill, or would I be mad not to consider another option (Marantz, Yammy, Denon etc?)

Cheers
    Steve

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should consider as many options as possible. Did you hear your speakers (what speakers do you own?) with the receivers mentioned above? If not, you must do it because you don't buy audio products thru the Internet/magazine. Sound is a very subjective issue, maybe you will hear your speakers with a Marantz or a NAD and you'll like it, you can never know.

3. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got Mission speaker setup (M70's, MC71C and Sub). The STR-DB940 was perfectly adequate for my needs so I naturally gravitated towards the STR-DB795. The buzzing did cause some concern, which is why I've been doing some more research on these forums/magazines etc. It'll be difficult to demo a multitude of receivers with my speakers so am looking for some pointers.

When I bought my previous Sony, a friend had a STR-DB930. I liked the sound of this, but it wasn't available hence the DB940. There are lots of "friends" here whose opinions I would be happy to listen to!

My speaker setup is modest, my requirements are mainly movies. I like the kind of sound delivered by those older Sony models. So where would my money be best spent?

Cheers
    Steve

4. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you hear any of the current models from the big companies in the field such as Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, HD, Pioneer or Marantz? My advice is to check some recievers from the companies written above with similiar speakers in order to see whether there are more alternatives than the Sony and or the 915 by Pioneer. I'm not saying you go out and buy, just check and listen.