Sony STR DB795 or Marantz SR4500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chimneybob, Jul 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. chimneybob

chimneybob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a Monitor Audio Radius speaker package and am wondering if the Marantz SR4500/SR5500 or the Sony STR DB795 would be a better match to the speakers. I have bought Sony kit in the past and have a Sony TV and DVD player and always been happy with them but the Marantz SR series Receivers have good write ups in the forum whereas the STR DB795 has a good write up in What Hi Fi. Does anyone have experience of either setups?

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The sony is reportantly very good when it has't got the buzzing problem.
    The 4x00 is ment to be the weak link in the marantz series although that might not be true of the 4500.

3. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Sony it is really good it is better than the marantz sony seemed to have gone through alot of effort with this reciever. The sony is slightly brighter while the marantz is more softer. Basically if you are buy metal domed tweeters like mordaunt short genie go for the marantz if you prefer soft dome tweeters like mission eq go for sony db795. If you want sub sat system go for the new B & W system as metal tweeter is not bright and will control the sonys top end if you want full size go for the mission m34i cinema system with the sony amp. The sony and denon amps sound similar. The marantz may not be so great with certain brands of speakers but work well with there sister company mordaunt short. Although marantz have now been bought by denon

4. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz have not been bought by Denon. Bith companies are owned by a company called D&M Holdings (Denon & Marantz) but one does not own the other.

5. Cinemafinder

Cinemafinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another suggestion, why not the Denon 2105, or even the Yamaha 750- both reputedly good machines in the £300 price range.

6. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    geezer i am pretty sure marantz was owned or part owned by philips before as their prestige brand or something I cant remember exactly maybe someone can confirm this also I remember reading an article when marantz and philips split denon took over the brand maybe they have marketed it as a seperate brand still thus d&m also denon use to be hitachis premium brand or hitachi had a big share in it or something think (maybe no more) also hitachi is a strong brand but their hi fi credentials are non existant I think this is what the denon brand gave them. I am pretty sure after reading various articles that D & M products since denons take over are aiming to share the same internals with alot of the future products. This is a good topic hope someone can clear this up and give some definate answers.

7. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Correct Marantz was part owned by Philips.

from the Marantz website

"MARANTZ TODAY

The Philips period ended in 2001 when Marantz Japan Inc. acquired the brand and all overseas sales subsidiaries. Today, Marantz falls under D&M Holdings, a joint holding company set up in 2002 to integrate Marantz and Hi-Fi manufacturer Denon in a strategic union that will strengthen both companies in the current tough economic climate. The company employs more than 1600 people in over fifty countries. It carefully selects its dealers to ensure that the quality of the service they provide matches the quality of the products Marantz produces. A dealer must satisfy strict requirements regarding demonstration facilities and store layout before Marantz products can be sold."

Again Denon do not own Marantz neither do marantz own Denon, they have the same parent company but are seperate companies each still has different factories, philosophies etc.

See D&M's website for more details
    D&M

8. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Really not trying to be smart guys but most people want help with their questions answered on this forum. I did not see chemneybob asking for a debate on the history of 2 different brands.

9. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Fair enough but the question was asked.

The only real way to see is to demo to both amps with the speakers you have chosen.

10. rbrites

rbrites

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not the Pioneer vsx1015 or even the 2014-s They seem to be good amps for the job.