1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY STR-DB795 - Impedance

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dolph999, Oct 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dolph999

dolph999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to connect to my SONY STR-DB795 the PSB Image T45 speakers bi-wired. According the SONY user guide, the impedance should be set to 4 ohms (selector 4/8 ohms) and speakers with 8 ohms should be connected. The problem is that the nominal speaker impedance of the T45's is 6 ohms. May I connect it bi-wired ? :confused:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Bi wired just gives you a thicker wire between the amp and the speaker so there should be no trouble there. On the speakers front you should be ok giving them 4 ohms as it may go down to that anyway if they are big and kick out bass.

3. dolph999

dolph999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I will try it. Any damages will be reported ;)

To be more exact here is the translation from the user guide:
    If you are connecting speakers to connectors A and B (parallel connection), be sure that you are using speakers with impedance of 8 ohms or higher. In this case set the impedance selector to 4 ohms.

4. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Ah, you may be getting confused here. :lesson:

The advice above stands if you are, in fact, BI-WIRING. That is, a single set of speaker outputs on the amplifier linked to 2 sets of separated terminals on the speaker. The speaker cable is effectively a Y shape to each speaker. This is often thought of as giving an easier load for the amp (I think because of lower impedance tho I might get shot down there).

What I think you are wanting to do is to BI-AMP, i.e. two sets of speaker outputs on the amplifier to two separate sets of terminals on the speaker. In this case, you use two runs of cable thus : II, not Y, if that makes sense. :confused:

To be honest, in your case with the Sony, I think the amp basically does the Y split from the amp internally to the speaker outputs - there aren't really four amplifier channels, but two to two outputs each. The reason the warning comes in the manual is because Sony expect that you will be using two entirely separate sets of speakers (in 2 rooms, say). In that case, yes, the load on the amp is higher, and hence the warning.

Depending on what your speakers are, you might find no difference what-so-ever in the sound delivered by using either of the above approaches, and the money spent on the speaker cable might be better spent elsewhere. :thumbsup: However, if you do go ahead, it might be best to drop it the 4 ohm setting to be safe, it certainly isn't going to hurt.

5. dolph999

dolph999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, thanx a lot for the hint. Since I am using currently a very common cables (0,5EUR/m :) ) I would like to upgrade them. I was thinking about Bi-amping not Bi-wiring. Sorry for the hassle.

6. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hey, no worries. No hassle at all. :smashin: