Sony STR-DB790 Dolby Digital EX?

Dave911

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just bought the above amp I am somewhat bemused as to why it only picks up certain discs allegedly recorded in EX. The example I must use is both region 2 verions of LOTR 1&2, both state thgat they are in EX, however only LOTR 2 displays that it is decoding the signal, LOTR 1 says that it is 5.1.

Is LOTR 1 encoded as EX or not, or is there something wrong with my amp. I have looked on the forum and seen that people have had to get software upgrades for older Sony models. Haviong just spent a load of dosh on my 6th surround speaker I want to get the benefit. Can someone give me some advice.

Be careful out there
Dave:confused:

It's simply that older DDEX discs don't carry the 'flag' on the disc which tells the hardware there is a 6th channel. This is being rectified by Dolby, as you have found with LOTR 2. All you have to do is switch the amp to 6.1 manually. It is not a fault of the amp.

Thanx Patcha, I know I am pushing the boat out now, but hard as I try, I cannot appear to sipmly select 6.1 on the amp, the only thing I can do is matrix the rear surrounds, is that doing what I want. Maybe I am getting old, things like this did not used to be a problem for me!!

You need to use the CUSTOMISE set up menu, and switch the surround rear channel to MATRIX - this will then reproduce the sound in full 6.1 - see pages 34 and 35 in the manual :)

Thanx for that, will give it a go and enjoy the movie as intended. Don't know about you but the manual for the amp is about as clear as mud!! :rolleyes:

Be careful out there

I ahve this amp as well. The easy thing to do is to use either the remote or the button on the front of the amp marked Surr Back Decoding press repeatedly and it will cycle through auto, matrix and off. If you select matrix all soudtracks will be processed DD EX. Hope this helps.

do you reccomend using this matrix decoding on all DD EX even if you only have a 5.1 speaker setup??

edit: oh and since I won't have a sub for a while. Do you still think I should use matrix decoding for EX with a 5.0 speaker setup?

It's another case of 'suck it and see'. Some peeps swear by it, some think it's a waste of time. Personally, I'd push for a surround back speaker; once you have one and turn it off you notice it's missing. IMO, naturally!

Well guys and gals (have to be polically correct) I can now say having tried it the extra rear is great, it does work as I have tried listening with and without the rear speaker enable and with; the rear soundstage is much smoother. So the lesson I have learned is THE MATRIX RULES!! (only the first one the rest were crap). And Chewbacca - get back to your painting or I will tell Jackie youve been down the pub again.

Thanx to everyone you have solved my problem.

Cheers

Dave911

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom