1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB780 Problems ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by avonvilla, May 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the above amp and am basically happy wit the sound but i have a couple of issues which i hope someone can shed some light on. First i cannot get the video monitor output from the s-video connector to work ? the composite works fine and i have checked both the cable and the tv and they are fine too ? Also i cannot get the coaxial dig in from my dvd player to show up anything either but once again using composite it is fine ? am i missing something ?

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-video monitor output om most AV amps will usually only output a source which was input to the unit in S-video form - ie, if the source was composite, eg VCR or Sky Box etc, then the amp won't ouput anything on the S-video monitor output, but the composite will work fine (and it's the same vice versa).
    Bottom line - it can only output what was input - it can't convert between video signal formats (some can, but not at this price level)

The coax dig in from your DVD player is an audio input, not video, so it's no surprise that you'll not see anything.
    This is the input to use for DD/DTS sound from the DVD (or the optical input - same desert, different tent :) )

3. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate

I feel real dumb now but at least it's cleared things up :-]

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone says on here (maybe sounddog), there are no dumb questions - if you don't know, it's never dumb to ask!

You may get several different answers though...... but that's another debate ....... :) :) :)

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Thats true Mike ... and it was me that said that.

Better to ask than assume and risk blowing everything up!!