Sony STR-DB2000 or STR-DB798

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tommy-g, Mar 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. tommy-g

tommy-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

On a budget for my first system, I am considering either the DB2000 at around £300 or the DB798 at around £200 I know that the DB2000 has been on the market for a while and has a full digital processor instead of the DB798s anologue processor.

Which sounds better with music?

I am planning to use it with the Wharfedale 9.0 HCP

Thanks

Thanks

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    All dolby digital and DTS processors are digital so I'm not sure what the difference is between the two models you state in that respect. I've got a 790 which is a couple of models back from the 798 (but they are very similar) and I think it's a great receiver for the money.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 2000 has D class (digital) amplification. Benefits are cool running (relatively speaking) and the ability to put them in quite low profile cases. Disadvantages are that care is required pairing these to speakers. Get it wrong and apparently they can sound quite bad.

The 798 is a more conventional amp, has a decent pedigree (as suggested above) and is more of a known quantity, i.e. enough people have them to be able to give you ideas on speaker pairing.

4. tommy-g

tommy-g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for your comments,

From what I understand the DB2000 has the S-Master processor which is used in the ES range of receivers but it only has 6.1 surround sound.

Against the DB798 which is a newer model with 7.1 surround sound.

I have no plans to use anymore than 6.1 speakers, may stick with 5.1. So the extra channel is not a concern. I am unable to hear both of them in the same shop so it would be good to have oppions of people who have heard them both.

Which would provide a better match for the speakers I may also consider the genies but I haven't heard them, but i am not sure how they will sound with music.

Your thoughts please.

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have heard a 790 series Sony and they are ok. At that price point they are aimed squarely at cinema so music will be ok, surround music better but not great. For better musical performance on a budget, Cambridge Audio's forego some of the bells and whistles in favour of sound quality and have their fans as a result. Look at their amps at Richer Sounds.

6. M3Lee

M3Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tommy:hiya:

Well I have the STR-DB798 which I have connected to the Sony SA-VE835ED speakers.

I run it as a 5.1 amp and feed it sound from my DVD via digital coax and optical from my Sky+ box.

Well what to say about it...its a nice looking amp imho and it is quite easy to set up. Has all the usual features but best of all it sounds really sweet!

Even at low volume levels the sound quality and clarity is excellent!:smashin:

If you do have any questions let me know and I will try and help!

Cheers

Lee

7. chrisowe

chrisowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why not go for the STRDB895 ? It comes with a DAB tuner and is the model up from the 798 £239.95 from Empiredirect.:) :thumbsup: