1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB1080 to be discontinued

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wyerd, Apr 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had one on back order with HiFiBitz since the beginning of March. Anyway, just received the following from them :-

We have just been informed by Sony that they have made a decision to discontinue the STR-DB1080. This is due to there being a delay until September on one of the main parts of the unit. They are bringing out a replacement, the STR-DB2000 which was set to be released in September. However they have said that they will fly some into Sony UK for these to be distributed in June. This is a higher Spec model and will be sold at the same price. We can only apologies for the delay and inconvenience this may have caused you. All the information we supply comes direct from Sony UK. We can either cancel your order off our system or change it for the new STR-DB2000 or an alternative model. We will keep you updated as soon as the specification and information is released on the new model which is due the end of May.

I've decided to wait - again!

2. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You may like to try a different retailer such as Super-Fi for the 1080, who are cheaper than HiFi Bitz for the 1080 and sometimes provide their web prices in store.

However, trusting Sony's usual efforts, the DB2000 should be better than the 1080. Sometimes newer products can end up being over developed and refined to the point where they can end up being audibly worse than predecessors.

Visuallly, the DB2000 is completely different from Sony AV amps of the last few years. I believe there is a link on one of the posts to avland.co.uk 's site, showing specs and a picture.

I own the 1080, bought last year, which I can't fault in any way.

3. F1F3R

F1F3R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like you i had one on order from 6th march. :( (strdb1080 silver)black available.
    i just recieved the same mail today .
    ive tried other shops but i get the same reply.. awaiting stock

so what amp do i go for now ?
    how does the strdb780 compare to the 1080 ?

4. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm........that sounds a bit suspect to me. I think its more to do with the buzzing speakers problems that some people are experiencing with the 1080. I know this because I'm one of these people! I've been waiting since the end of March for my replacement for my faulty unit - guess I know the reason for the delay now.

Anyway, looks like I'll be phoning HiFiBitz tommorow to tell them I'll be wanting the STR-DB2000 as a replacement instead!
    Boohoo! More waiting for me. :(

5. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I did email them at the beginning of March asking if they had any stock. They never bothered to reply.

6. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The online division of Super-Fi based in Coventry, is always busy it seems. In fact I wasn't able to get through to them at all, so I decided to call my local Super-Fi store who happily agreed to match the 1080's web price. They said that only on certain products they can match their web prices.

7. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Sony 1080 at the begining of April from Hotkit UK in Nottingham. The price was good, delivery was 3 days and it was the right colour (silver).

Check if they have got any left tel 0845 8481444

Paul

8. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    unsure of wether i am suppose to do this,
    but i am getting rid of my 1080, it is only 3 months old, and been used 3 times,
    the reason being i need an amp with the lip sync funtion and this am does not have it, let me know if anyone is interested i will sends pics etc,

9. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the info- I've decided to wait as I'm out of the country for the most of May & the DB2000 fits aesthetically with the DVD player - DVPNS905.

10. Prav

Prav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must have been lucky - my branch of Superfi (Stoke) had a silver in stock. Picked one up for £380 - is this a good price. Actually it's not costing me anything, as I bought a Marantz 5200 a year earlier from Richers which subsequently exploded twice. I obtained a refund and bought the 1080. Hope I haven't got a buzzing dud!

The STRDB 2000 looks a bit ugly - apart from the increased power rating I cannot see any vast improvements. Or are there?

Sony STRDB-2000