1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB1080 Buzzing and "Protector" Mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by malford, Jan 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have had my Sony STR-DB1080 for just 3 days and it has started buzzing on all 5 speakers since yesterday.
    It is very annoying at night where all you can hear is an earth type buzz.
    The buzz seems to come on after 5 minutes of use and changing sound fields or by going into 2 channel mode doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have disconnected all components from receiver and removed all but the forward speakers and still the buzzing is there.
    I have checked and double checked all wiring for signs of a short but all is fine.
    I haven’t yet got a sub woofer connected to the HiFi so I can count that out of the noise equation.

The electrical supply has been checked for EMF and there are no fluorescent lights, dimmer switches or Televisions nearby.
    My previous Technics SA-GX690 worked fine on the same setup for many years without any buzzing noises.

Things took more serious turn today as the amp went into "PROTECTOR" mode and refused to respond to anything other than the OFF button when music is played at a loud level (-30db). After it cooled down a bit things went back to normal apart from the Buzzing noise.

Phoned Empire Direct today and after waiting 20 minutes on the phone I spoke to a very helpful tech support guy who offered me an exchange of unit (postage paid by Empire direct) or offered to have it looked at by an approved Sony dealer local to where I live.
    I have opted for an exchange unit as sometimes dealerships are not always very accommodating when they have to do warranty work on goods that they haven’t sold you.

I have until Friday when the unit is picked up by courier so if you have any ideas on what could be the problem please let me know?

The receiver is an excellent buy and up until the fault occurred I was spending many hours listening to all my old CD's and enjoying the quality of sound.

Regards Malcolm

Sony STR-DB1080 Receiver
    Sony DVP-NS905V DVD Player
    Technics SLP770 CD player
    2x Mission 765i Front speakers 4 ohms
    2x Mission 73S surround speakers 8 ohms
    1x Mission 73C Centre speaker 8 ohms
    QED 90 cable

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a faulty unit, maybe a bad earth somewhere inside. I would definately go for an exchange unit. The protector mode is down to heat build up and is usually caused by bad ventilation. Have you got anything directly on top of it? You need a good gap on top for it to vent.

3. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I bought a Sony 1080 a week ago and like you have been very impressed with it.............until it started buzzing from the speakers.

Like you I disconnected everything (thought it was a ground loop) and moved it to another room with different speakers but it still buzzed. I found that it was ok when cold but after approx 8 to 10 mins the buzz would return. It is much more noticeable if you select the analogue input as the buzz then increases with volume.

Well it didnt do it for 4 days so it must be a fault.

I took it back to Superfi in Manchester today (who have been excellent - even lent me 2 amps to demo before buying).

Explained the problem and they happily exchanged it - good service.

Not tried the new one yet but I would definately say there seems to be a fault as mine has done it, yours has done it and there is another member who has posted on here with the same problem !. I just hope the new one doesnt develop the same fault as I really like the amp otherwise and having tried the alternatives in the same price band prefer it for films.

Has anyone had the Sony 1080 for some time and had no problems ?

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I've had one a few months, Just sold it here in the FS section.

Had no problems whatsoever with it great receiver.

Hope you both get quality replacements without any probs.

Bry

5. kennrc

kennrc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Sony 1080 for 4 months now :)

I'm very happy with it, and it has never exibited any problems. No buzzing, No significant heat problem (all though it can run quite hot), and it has never gone into protect mode. My DVD-player is placed on top of the reciever.

I've had a couple of loud parties in the last 4 months, where i've been running it at -15db with no problems at all.

I use 6 ohm Jamo E 6 PDD-speakers and have activated the 4 ohm speakerswitch on the reciever.

Regards
    Kenn, Denmark

6. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Looks like it may just be coincidence then although "Gall" is currently experiencing the same problem as well in another post.

The spooky thing is that mine started buzzing on 13/01/03 which is exactly the same time as Malfords did, having owned it for about 4 or 5 days.

Hopefully I will have no problems with the replacement.

Andy

7. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ukroadster,

Maybe that’s why the technical support guy offered an exchange unit straight away, they probably know about the problem?
    Lets hope that their isn’t a dodgy batch of them knocking around with a known fault as it seems very coincidental that several of us have the same problem.

If after reading these forums maybe someone from Sony or a Dealer could shed some light on the matter or just reassure us that it is just “a coincidence” as i would rather not have to go through changing the 2nd unit Im having replaced if it is a known problem.

Malcolm

8. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Malcolm

The guys at SuperFI in Manchester said I was the first to return a Sony 1080 (and they sell a lot apparently) and I gave him a copy of the post from "Gall" which he was very interested in.

I, like you thought perhaps there was a bad batch and so he gave me a replacement that had only been delivered 2 hours earlier. Thats not to say that it wasnt manufactured around the same time though and still may have the faulty component in it.

Will have to wait and see. I will try and give it as much use as possible though this week.

The good thing was that Chris at SuperFi was excellent and said that if I had any problems with the replacement to contact him as he was now aware of the problem and my situation.

So I hope your replacement is ok - it definately seems that something is not right but only time will tell unless someone has any further info on this matter.

Sony ?

Should add as well that I think the amp is fantastic in all other respect and I dont want to put anyone off buying one if this is just an isolated problem.

Andy

9. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Malford and Gall

This is mainly for you two.

Just wired up my replacement sony str db1080 and guess what............................................................ NO BUZZING:D

So even though I was 99% sure the amp was faulty this proves conclusively that my previous amp was definately faulty and yours probably are as well as my set up has not changed ! at all and no buzzing now with the replacement amp.

Dont know if its me but this new amp sounds even better than the previous one - just watched Diana Krall in Paris and really enjoyed it.

Just got to wait and see now for a week as my old one was fine for about 4 days before the buzzing started - fingers crossed.

Gall, please feel free to contact me if you have any trouble getting a replacement and I will be happy to convey my experience to the shop you purchased from.

Regards

Andy

10. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sony STR1080 Replacement from Empire Direct.

Timeline:

Ordered STRDB1080S 02/01/2003

Received unit 06/01/2003

Fault occurred 10/01/2003

Fault reported to Empire 14/01/2003

Unit picked up (no charge) 17/01/2003

Advised replacement unit nil stock, possible delivery mid February and offered full refund. 30/01/2003

Very happy with Empire’s returns service but disappointed with Sony UK for not re stocking sooner.

Will keep you all informed of timeline progress for Empire, from this you can make your own conclusions to their level of service.

Been without Amp for too long and slowly going mad listening to wife, considering phoning Empire and asking for an STRVA555ESN but this is special order only…Doh!