Sony STR-DB1080 - any reviews yet?

A

arnthelene

Hello!

Have anyone read any reviews on this player yet?

I can buy it for a very reasonable price, but can't decide.....

As an alternative I can but a Marantz SR-6200 for little bit more money...

Got 4 stars out of 5, a favourable review indeed.

They did again comment on the 'Sony sound' (slightly mechanical), but apart from that and a few mid-level problems they had no complaints.

Build quality was top quality, it looked (black version) gorgeous, and the general performance/features was very high for the 'budget' price, particularily surround sound.

Could anyone post the review? The magazine is not availble in Norway yet...

Which receivers did best in the test?

looks to me like it merited a best buy 4.5 stars
sound 4
build 5
features 5
overall 4
next page a thompson dvd/vcr gets 3x3.5 stars and gets 4 stars overall-the usual loss of a star or a half because it's a sony probably.

'Could anyone post the review?'

Going to work soon, but will try and post it up for tommorow :D

I have a 1080 and would concur entirely with the review. It's a generally good piece of kit, very good for movies. As for music, the reviewers comments are correct. It's happiest with acoustic music. Hard rock and metal can sound over seperated and confused. It does not like bad recordings at all.

The dacs are better than the 940 I had before. Stuff like Dire Straits, Eva Cassidy, James Taylor etc. sounds very good but stick some Metallica or Motorhead on and it quickly gets confused and the music loses it's intended punch and drive.

I think 4 out of 5 is about right considering the opposition.

S

"I have a 1080 and would concur entirely with the review. It's a generally good piece of kit, very good for movies. As for music, the reviewers comments are correct. It's happiest with acoustic music. Hard rock and metal can sound over seperated and confused. It does not like bad recordings at all.

The dacs are better than the 940 I had before. Stuff like Dire Straits, Eva Cassidy, James Taylor etc. sounds very good but stick some Metallica or Motorhead on and it quickly gets confused and the music loses it's intended punch and drive.

I think 4 out of 5 is about right considering the opposition.

S"

This is the opposite of what the reviewer says.... He believes it's best with rock and dance.

I'm confused :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom