1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB1070 - how good is it ????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SPYTHON, Aug 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for an AV-AMP/RECEIVER, I have already chosen my speakers - KEF EGGS(KHT-2005's), and I am considering the SONY STR-DB1070, but I have heard conflicting reviews on it, it gets posted as being harsh, and underpowered, can anyone who has one give me their opinion, I have on the otherhand heard that it has excellent stearing, and real dynamic punch....

the other amps I am considering at the moment are the Marantz SR5200 and the Yamaha AX630

help....

2. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A great amp, go here to see what i thought of it.

However, be aware that it has now been superceded by the Sony STRDB 1080, which offers a raft of superb features for not much more cash, have a look at it here ,and see the full spec, at Sony's Australian site

Hope this helps

Westy

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But this has been tested by a mag as delivering 6 x 31W which is so underpowered that it might start sending square waves to your speakers and blowing tweeters.

Mike.

4. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting Flimber.

Which mag was this?

I only had it for a week for review purposes, in which i tried it with several models of speaker, including some very nice Monitor Audio Silver 8i's.

It seemed very happy driving even at silly levels - only when cranked past 1o'clock on the dial did it run out of puff and become shrill and hard edged.

I know HCC magazine performs lab tests, but i sometimes think this is a bit too extensive and can sometimes detract from the basic premise of a review, i.e. Is it any good or not?? Just tell us man!

Still a quality mag tho, some of those HC installs are superb

Westy

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had a 1070 which certainly was NOT underpowered. It had excellent steering and set up options (but no PL2). I replaced it with a Marantz 6200 which I found to be much better in stereo.

7. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst i can appreciate all the hard work these people go to to get these results, i'm sitting here with a look of extreme doubt. Look up the list and it's got a Sherwood amp with a bigger power rating - every Sherwood amp i've tested has been utter pants.

They may be right, i may be wrong - i'm willing to accept that - but there are instances of 'duff samples'.

I stand by my decision wholeheartedly, a good amp indeed!

Westy

8. ceejay

ceejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    According to the same table, the Marantz SR7200 is 6 x 27 W. And yet nobody seems to think that the Marantz is underpowered...

9. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep so did I....

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10, 15 or 20 Watts can be bluddy loud but that's not the point. Low watts can permanently damage your speakers.

Six output transistors wanting lotso' power from a (relatively) puny transformer/PSU is not a recipe for success. Some midrange amps are as little as 10KG and that's about how much their internal transformer alone should be weighing. Unfortunately, many manufacturers are cutting more and more corners to fit more and more 'trinkets' in.

Mike.

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Mike

Just carefully repacked your new Yam into it's box and I can tell you it is bloody heavy. Goes really loud too. Ready for collection anytime.

Cheers Nobber

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Courier just turned up here to get it. Some mix-up...

So someone will be along tomorrow to get this now. I just want something to tide me over until I can get something really nice again - like the Denon A1D I was recently forced into
    rehoming.
    Mike.

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Mike

Please PM me your address so I can put a lable on the box so that the Postroom Monkeys know which Courier to give it to.

Cheers

14. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think if you do a search on the 1070 there's been a fair few threads on it in the past - might be worth a look :)

I for one am very happy with my 1070 - have had it for about 4 months now and it still makes me smile when I listen to it in all it's glory ;) Have you had a chance to demo one?

So... If you wanted a positive post - there you have it, but like everyone says - base your decision on what YOU think, not on whether everyone else thinks it's good/bad ;)

Happy hunting... Kelvin :D

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why buy a 1070 when the 1080 is available right now from www.unbeatable.co.uk for £380. It has DPL2 which is worth upgrading for alone.

S

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The 1070 is £80 (at least) less expensive. i accept it's a case of priorities, but is PL11 worth the extra if the majority of listening is dvd's. :)

17. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't realise 1070 was available under £300, sorry. For me, the extra £80 would be well worth it but I watch more TV (Sky) than DVD's and it would be nice to have something to tempt me into watching some of those old vids again. I'm getting a 1080 soon after going through an exhaustive list of alternatives.

S

18. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have a look at the RS site (amongst others). Black + silver both £299.99 :)

19. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure that RS would like to clarify the fact that they don't actually have (m)any! :)

As for power output ratings, this really is such a misleading issue.
    The fact is that very few budget AV amps will deliver anything like their rated output with all channels driven simultaneously - Sony are really no different here to most of the other manufacturers selling in the same price space.
    The good news is that 6x30W simultaneous, with 6x80W individual channel headroom, is likely to be plenty for most people with normal listening levels in average sized rooms, with average sensitivty speakers.

If you have a large room, difficult speakers, or like insane listening levels, then don't buy an amp like this - you really need something more powerful (in the true sense of the word).

One thing which isn't mentioned in that article is the position of the Impedance selector switch on the Sony (and presumably a few others too). AFAIK, this actually works by limiting the power rail voltage to the power amps, to prevent overcurrent when driving low (4ohm) impedance speakers - the bottom line is that it turns a 100Wx6 receiver (switch in 8-16) into say a 60Wx6 receiver (switch in 4-8 position) - those figures are an example only though!