1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DB1030 - Confused.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lunar Humps, Jul 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mighty confused about the digital optical inputs on this amp. There's three, labelled TV/Sat, MD/Dat and DVD/LD. My DVD is already connected via electrical. Got an Xbox plugged into the MD/Dat and that's fine. Just added a PS2 and connected it to the TV/Sat one with a new optical lead and...nothing. Moved it to Xbox connection and its fine, so it aint the lead. And yes, I've enabled optical out on PS2 setup menu. Can this amp actually cope with more that one optical input? Or is it that the TV/Sat optical input doesn't respond to PS2 or Xbox signals? What gives?

Also, thinking of upgrading to the STR-DB2000. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. SM :cool:

2. bizzibee

bizzibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry can't help with your problem. Not sure what is going on there. You could try posting your question over on the Agoraquest Forums, "The only place for the Sony Enthusiast". See:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=51

If you are thinking about upgrading then the STR-DB2000 is a very good unit. Have a read of the manual for it here if you want:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4247241161.pdf

Anyway the STR-DB2000 is powered by Sony's S Master Pro Digital Amplification technology. That is it uses Class-D (PWM) Amplification rather than the traditional Class AB Amplification. You can read about the S Master Pro Digital Amplification technology here:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDA9000ES_TWP.pdf

I have a Sony TA-DA9000ES which uses the same S Master Pro Digital Amplification technology and I think it has a wonderful sound quality.

Good luck anyway.

Mark

3. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for your help and the great links. Im pretty convinced the amp has developed some sort of fault on the TV/SAT optical input. Its well out of warranty and repair could prove expensive so upgrade looks the best bet. Empiredirect are selling the DB2000 in black for 299. Hard to resist.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I think the TV input on the amp defaults to analogue. You have to enable the digital input by "assigning" it to that input.