1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DA50ES Problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ARIKIP, Jan 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ARIKIP

ARIKIP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    New Zealand...that cup should be ours :-)
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased myself a used DA50ES receiver and am having problems with getting DTS going. The funny thing is that i downloaded the US(english)manual and comparing it to mine,it has no 5.1 input(like mine does). Looking at all online sites i could find indicates the DA50ES is a DTS compatible receiver where as mine can detect Dolby Digital(via co-ax)but not DTS(Auto format decode on). My model doesnt even have the DTS emblem on it anywhere?. Were there some DA50ES models without DTS?. I know the DA80ES was dolby digital only. Can someone point me in the right direction. Cheers :)

2. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Used to have one of these about 4 years ago, mine was a UK model and did definitely support DTS I’m pretty sure it also had a DTS logo on the front of the amp. What I do remember was that when I was ringing around retailers trying to find one I was warned by one retailer that there were quiet a few grey imports (I think they where sourced from Germany) being sold - because Sony seemed to launch the European model sometime before the UK model. Couldn’t tell you if the two models had the same spec but there was a US model called DA90 that seemed to have a very similar spec to my DA50

Hope this helps.

3. ARIKIP

ARIKIP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    New Zealand...that cup should be ours :-)
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Nemo,Strange my DA50ES doesnt have the DTS licence on the rear or a DTS symbol on the front. Did yours have a 5.1 input on the back?.

4. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can't actually remember, like I said it was about 4 years ago when I bought it and I sold it nearly 3 years ago.

Did you get the touch screen remote with yours? If you did you might find that the battery life is terrible. There was a fix available to cure it. I had my remote modified by the dealer I bought it from, I think the fix involved changing one of the capacitors in the remote