1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY STR-DA5000 ES Another Weird Noise

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nobber, Mar 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

I bought a new Sony Digital a couple of months ago very pleased with the way it sounds but went to switch it on tonight and after it powers up I get a contant clicking noise from it, I've cleared the memory and retried but still the same

has anyone got any idea what this could be?

thanks
    Nobber

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Could be a short on the peaker outputs causing the short circuit trip to trip in all the time.

Are the speaker wires bared and twisted round the terminals or put through holes and clamped? At the amp or the speaker end?

All it takes is a single stray strand of copper going from one terminal to the other to do this.

It'll probably be easier to just redo all the speaker connections one by one until problem goes away of you've eliminated that as a cause.

3. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks I will give that a try, since I've posted though I tried switching off the source in the amp ie one of the DVD players (either one)and it stops on further investigation when I pull the green lead out of the component monitor out it also stops...mmmm

4. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    disconnected everything except the component still there bypassed my scart switcher and fixed a direct feed into projector and the projector is ok, so it must be the amp/receiver

Spoke to Avland who I bought it from end of January and they say it will have to go back to Sony could be away 2-3 weeks

NOT HAPPY!

Nobber

5. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well went back to Avland with the amp it all tested ok....it appears the problem may be with the Scart to RGB Component box or dodgy cable

6. HiFiFan

HiFiFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear the problem has been sorted re clearing the amp at least so far.

Could you perhaps comment on what you think of the sound, and also the worthwhileness or otherwise of the proprietary DSP modes, such as Cinema Studio EX etc. Sony appear to be at the cutting edge with their latest digital receivers.

Cheers

John....;)

7. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello John

I previously had the STR-VA555ES and thought that was great, but ran a 7.1 speaker system using my old STR930 for the surround backs I was constantly adjusting the setup so I decided to go with the new STRDA5000 ES Personally I think its fantastic I love the sound and the steering whether I'm Watching/listening to CD's (not often) or Satellite/DVD's as to the DSP well I don't use them much cinema sound studio B or no processing at all keeps me pretty happy!

8. HiFiFan

HiFiFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Nobber

It's great to hear that things are working out for you with the amp. Nothing worse than having a new pride and joy and having problems, it takes the gloss off the pleasure of the new 'toy' very quickly.

As you may see from my other post re high-end processors, I'm playing the devils advocate at trying to assess just what the high-end manufacturers of AV processors offer over and above more 'mainstream' or mass produced brands.

Someone voiced an opinion that Sony have a poor brand image. Of course, this has nothing to do with the products performance or value, only the power of marketing IMHO.

It appears to me that with their latest ES series receivers, Sony are at the cutting edge with both their digital amplification, and their in-house proprietary DSP software, lacking mostly only in the prestige/exclusive brand image stakes.

Did you by any chance hear other brands before you upgraded to the new machine, or perhaps even some of the more expensive so called high-end products? If so, how did you find the Sony compared re it's sound?

Lastly, as regards the DSP modes, do you not use them because with a 7.1 setup they are not necessary re enhancing the size of the soundfield, or do they not sound as good as 'straight' DD, DTS etc

Hope you don't mind all the questions...;)

Thanks again

Best

John...;)

9. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John

Sorry don't know whether I can be of much help here, I'm a bit of a Sony fan, 2 DVD players, 1 Projector, 1 RP TV, the 5000, 1 digital camera, 1 camcorder, 1 PS2, etc etc etc now I know that Sony DONT make the best of everything but I really like their gear, the only I have ever had go wrong was a IP7 Camcorder after 18months I couldn't get anything out of the firewire port the mainboard needed replacing £575.00 ouch, so I sold it on ebay for £300 and bought the new IP1E (different board with docking station)

Back to the amp ~I heard about the new digital amps and liked the sound of my old VAE555ES so as soon as I could get my hands on one the new digital amps I couldn't help but buy, I trusted Sony would not let me down with the sound and I got rid of my old second amp, so I didn't even bother listening to it, I suppose I'm lucky as I think it's got a great sound, I listen to the DSP sometimes but it depends on the film and the sound track

Nobber