• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DA3600, 4600, 5600ES Receiver Thread

sila1999

Established Member
Sony will be releasing shortly several new receivers these being the;
STR-DA3600ES
STR-DA4600ES
STR-DA5600ES

I have no details as yet, how ever here are the manuals for them
DA3600ES
DA4600ES
DA5600ES

AndyCob

Prominent Member
Hey sila1999:hiya:, I'm starting to think you work for Sony?:D

I've been waiting for these myself, have my eye on a 5600, don't like the line in the release about only for sale by speciality AV retialers and custom installers etc and not online retailers. Ouch that's going to keep the prices high, if when we get a UK version?

I do hope Sony doesn't strip features from the US models when they come out here like they did with the 5500 and 6400.

Official release:
Sony Electronics News and Information

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sony as at last provided standby passthrough of HDMI signals on all the models mentioned.

There's also an integrated 4 port ethernet switch.
Four Ethernet ports are provided, allowing the receivers to act as a hub for other devices, and two of the the receivers – the STR-DA5600ES and the $1500 STR-DA4600ES – can even output audio and video to a second zone over CAT5 cable, as well as offering 1080p upscaling to the main zone, and 1080i to the second.

Even the non ES STRDN2010 has both of the above.

Prices quoted do look rather steep in comparison to the prices of the models they replace though.

Last edited:

AndyCob

Prominent Member
On page 108 of the manual for the 5600, do I read that right that you still cannot assign HDMI audio to any of the other inputs?

What's the point of having a dedicated BD button on the remote of a 7.1 amp when it activates a connection that can only support 5.1 audio:eek::suicide:.

Simialr issue with DVD (although you wouldn't lose anything by connecting with optical/coax for digital audio) but if you have a DVD player with HDMI out for video and audio there appears to be no way to assign it to the actual DVD button.

That list doesn't mention even assigning the analogue 7.1 input in that list, though neither does my 5200 but you can.

Or am I missing something?

Epic fail again Sony.:facepalm: I thought this issue would have been fixed by now.

Last edited:
On page 108 of the manual for the 5600, do I read that right that you still cannot assign HDMI audio to any of the other inputs?

What's the point of having a dedicated BD button on the remote of a 7.1 amp when it activates a connection that can only support 5.1 audio:eek::suicide:.

Simialr issue with DVD (although you wouldn't lose anything by connecting with optical/coax for digital audio) but if you have a DVD player with HDMI out for video and audio there appears to be no way to assign it to the actual DVD button.

That list doesn't mention even assigning the analogue 7.1 input in that list, though neither does my 5200 but you can.

Or am I missing something?

Epic fail again Sony.:facepalm: I thought this issue would have been fixed by now.

I have not read this manual but possibly the BD button etc on the remote, as with other Sony Receivers, is intended to be used in conjunction with the power button? ie merely turn the appropriate source On or Off.

Does pressing the appropriate HDMI "X" labelled button with user configured assignments and speaker configuration do what you desire?

AndyCob

Prominent Member
Oh you can connect a DVD player to HDMI1 a Blu-Ray player to HDMI2 and simply select HDMI1 or 2 etc using the remote and you will have the appropriate component feeding digital video and audio via HDMI. It's not a case of you can't feed digital audio over HDMI, it's just a usability thing that bugs me that you cannot select your BD/DVD player by using the BD/DVD button and get digital audio via HDMI. You would have to select using the HDMI1/2/3 etc button.

The labelled buttons do much more than simply enable you to turn the component on they set the remote to control that device and swicth the receiver to the programmed inputs associated with that device etc (it's just you can't associate HDMI audio to those buttons)

You might get round this somewhat with HDMI control in that pressing BD would turn the receiver to the BD selector (thus losing digital audio via HDMI) but when you then turn on the BD player HDMI control might make it switch to HDMI(n). I say might because I don't know how thw receiver would behave if HDMI(n) is also the set video input for the BD selector.

Or in other words you can assign composite video, component video or HDMI video to the BD/DVD buttons, but you cannot assign HDMI audio to those buttons so they are worse than useless if you plan to use HDMI audio.

For example say you start watching a BD connected to HDMI1 after selecting HDM1 as the feed and you will have HDMI video and HDMI multichannel audio, but say you switch for some reason to TV or SAT etc then go back by selecting the obvious BD, you will either lose audio entirely unless you also connected an optical or coaxial digital audio input and assigned it to the BD button or drop from 7.1/HD audio down to Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1. You would actually also loose video if you haven't associated HDMI 1 as the video in for the BD selector.

So if you want to use HDMI audio you have to remember to always select using the appropriate HDMI input rather than the much more intuitive button actually labelled for the appropriate input device making them a total waste of space and irritating distraction.

Last edited:
I agree its all counter intuitive and perhaps its my imagination but once upon a time just about all rear inputs were prelabelled whereas now we seem to be moving to having the majority of the inputs just being labelled HDMI 1,2, AV1,2 etc.

Since day one I have used a Harmony with my 2400ES and the original remotes, presumably with their bewildering BDP, etc buttons, have never been used.

Last edited:

AndyCob

Prominent Member
I don't really mind that much whether the buttons are labelled or not. I find you never have every pre-labelled component anyway, I mean there is still a dedicated button and input/output sockets for a mini-disc recorder on the Sony receivers and how many people ever actually bought one years ago when they were available, let alone kept it all these years to today (says me who still has his Sony analogue audio tape recorder and VCR hanging about, though they almost never get used anymore).

BUT if you are going to put pre-labelled buttons on the thing I do find it VERY irritating that they are borderline useless if you want to utilise the best possible video and audio connection such that you then actually have to remember to use a different buttton and ignore the actual labelled button.

neil1williams

Standard Member
Do you happen to have access to the instructions for the STR-DA6400ES which is a US version,

I'm disappointed the new STR-DA5500 (UK model) which was launched at IFA last week has lost the 2nd zone CAT5 to HDMI output.

I was going to get a 6400 imported providing it ticks all the boxes.

Thanks.

ric9887

Standard Member
I can see that the 5600 has the ability to link video over CAT5 to another room in the house. Does anyone have any idea what you would have to have at the other end to 'demux' the signal ?

Is it likely to be a CAT5-HDMI widget ? Or another box which Sony sell ?

Incidently, I got the Heathrow T5 store to put the 5600 on their system so they are able to pre-order it. Hats off to them, it was a bit of a pain but they managed to do it eventually.
They say they expect it in 3 weeks and got a price of ~£1700.

Last edited:

ric9887

Standard Member
Well, I have just had delivered the 5600 receiver and busy unboxing and setting up.
I see no documentation how to get the iPhone app to control the reciever though, or what its called.
I have contacted Sony support in the UK, who directed me towards the BD Remote application, however this is only to control their Bluray players.
If anyone know what the control app is called, then please let me know.
I have seen screen shots of it on the CEPRO review, so I know it exists.

rjwhittington

Standard Member
Does the 5600 have the Cat5 Zone 2 port on the back, as on the Sony website, it appear on one image and not the other. In the past Sony have removed these port for the european market, presumably because they could not be bothered to produce the client end device?

Last edited:

Dean

Prominent Member
Just saw the STR-DA3600ES What HiFi Review and sounded disappointing. Doesn't sound nearly as good as the original ESs, wonder if Sony are cost cutting too much. Looks pretty much the same as a STR-DA2400ES with the same 7 x 100 W power, my old STR-DA3200ES had 7 x 120 W and shared the same case as the higher STR-DA5200ES / STR-DA5400ES.

Last edited:

creid1

Established Member
I have the 5300 and am looking to upgrade to 5600. I don't believe this review, somethings not right. This years top Sony receiver is twice the price of the previous, yet they've cut on components??? I think the reviewers have to wait for firmware update or replace box or they have not set up right with speakers... Surely this £2000 flagship receiver sounds as good as my £1000 3 year old one?

Dean

Prominent Member
I have the 5300 and am looking to upgrade to 5600. I don't believe this review, somethings not right. This years top Sony receiver is twice the price of the previous, yet they've cut on components??? I think the reviewers have to wait for firmware update or replace box or they have not set up right with speakers... Surely this £2000 flagship receiver sounds as good as my £1000 3 year old one?

I wouldn't take WHF reviews as 100% true but I do still think they are a useful guide. I mean presumably the reviewers should be just as fair or critical than your average AV enthusiast and spend a lot of time listening to AV gear.

That review was for the STR-DA3600ES so the STR-DA5600 could be different. Is there any reason why you wanted to upgrade i.e a particular feature? If not I would hang on to your AVR. I recently upgraded to a Yamaha RX-V1067 but mainly for 3D capabilities, performance is slightly better but not massively different. It's slighted richer in the upper bass and better in AV but stereo is about the same. The older ESs were very transparent sounding (some would say bright but I disagree ;))

Last edited:

ric9887

Standard Member
Does the 5600 have the Cat5 Zone 2 port on the back, as on the Sony website, it appear on one image and not the other. In the past Sony have removed these port for the european market, presumably because they could not be bothered to produce the client end device?

It does have the CAT5 connector for 1080i component output, although you do need to get the Balum they recommend, which I havent spotted being sold in the UK.

I still can't track down the iPod app for it though. Anyone any idea's? I have tried the Sony Corp BD Remote app, and that - as expected - only controls basic funtionality of Sony's Bluray players.

Last edited:

dn1g

Standard Member
I still can't track down the iPod app for it though. Anyone any idea's? I have tried the Sony Corp BD Remote app, and that - as expected - only controls basic funtionality of Sony's Bluray players.

You can download the iPod Touch/iPhone app directly from the iTunes App Store for free; it's in App Store > Utilities > Sony Corporation.

To find it quicker, enter "AV Receiver Remote" in the iTunes Store search box. A few hits will come up: It's the one with the glossy black icon with a picture of a grey remote which runs diagonally from the lower left corner to 2 IR waves to the upper right of the icon.

Hope this helps.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Doesn't appear to be available in the UK store. The blu player one and network audio one are tho.

neil1williams

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Sony STR-DA5600. I'm looking for the iPhone app to control the unit over IP although the " AV Receiver Remote" by sony is a free app and isn't available on the UK. Sucks!!!

I've read if someone from USA/or has a USA itunes account downloads the app and checks the iTunes folder under mobille application, and forward's me the AV Receiver Remote.ipa. File will allow me to install.

Pls contact me If your willing to help pls PM me.

The app looks really cool and would suit me until my RTI XP3 next year, ... Once forwarded you can delete the app from your phone/PC.

Pls help,

Many thanks.

Last edited:

jazzygm

Standard Member
I'm thinking about getting the DA3600ES. I can get it at a substantial discount to the rrp at just over £600 but I'm a bit concerned that the only review I can find of it (the What HiFi review) is so unenthusiastic about it.

It's my first AV receiver, but I do have stereo separates (old NAD set up) so whilst it's going to be a significant step-up from my current surround experience I would want it to have reasonable stereo audio performance.

So some questions (part newbie):

1) Is this really only as good as three out of five stars, or is it only three stars at the rrp of ~ £900? I.e. can I do better for the money at ~£600?

2) How does this work with a standard aerial tv connection? Obviously I'll want to be able to have the tv sound through the surround (at least front) speakers rather than the telly at times. I have a sony KDL-40W5500 but having looked at both manuals I'm still left a little puzzled at how this would work.

3) If I decide to ditch my stereo NAD amp (it has some age-related issues unfortunately) will it be able to handle stereo playback from a cd player properly - is it easy to set up a stereo source and stereo output only?

4) This is going out on a limb a little - can I 'mix' audio channels - i.e. am I able to have two audio sources selected at the same time? I only ask because being able to play your own music along to some console games is nearly a must-have to avoid the reptitive soundtracks.

5) How does this 'second zone' work in practice? Can I have seperate A/V output to a different room or is it a clone, and how much control will I have from the other room given that I have Bravia Sync. How well would the IR repeater work and what would it allow me to do?​

Many questions, this may not be quite the right place but hopefully it could help someone else also looking at this receiver/series too.

Thanks in advance
Jazzy

Last edited:

AndyCob

Prominent Member
No more info on these then?

I'm still looking at a 5600, seen at leat one favourble review but what's going on with the UK pricing again.

The last few Sony receivers came in roughly equal or even a little below the direct US dollar to UK sterling conversion but the 5600 is already only $1,500-1,600 in the USA so approx £1,000 in the USA but it's UK RRP is £2,000 :eek::(:mad::confused:

Ok it can be had for as little as £1,750 maybe less if you shop around but a 75-100% markup on the US price, ouch, I'm not paying that. You could import a US model pay the full import duty and VAT and still save money! Too bad the US versions probably don't handle 50Hz feeds or 240V.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom