1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DA3000ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kuni D, Oct 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know the Sony STR-DA3000ES isn't great and has a few issues, but I can get my hands on it for £230 new.

Worth it? I don't really need it (I've got a Pioneer VSX-D2011 and Denon AVR-2802), thought I could use it for music in one of the bedrooms. Or is it worth getting to flog on eBay at that price?

2. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the issuies of SONY 3000?

3. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Copied from an older thread

No2's the main thing I'm worried about...

Anyone use ?

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'd like to hear any sort of feedback on any aspects of the STR-DA3000ES as well. I can get it for peanuts and I'm considering it as a core part of a replacement to the DAV-S550. Although at first glance the S550 seemed exactly the right system for my bedroom, I do note that the sound relies too much on the sub to be authoritative or effective at low volumes (which is my main DVD/CD use in the bedroom) and I don't have sufficient control over the behaviour of the speakers.

I'm wondering how it performs with small speakers in a small room (would appreciate any budget pointers... if it's Sony, all the better since I can secure discounts), it's relative sound quality and whether it has any peccadilloes I should be aware of.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    When I tested it against an AX3, 2803, RXV1400 and an SR7400 it came flat last and in fact did nothing more than my old Marantz SR7300. The failings for me were the difficulty in setting it up and the lack of a seventh channel. I don't judge items on appearance but it is hideous as well in typical "ES chav gold."

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    - 5.1 is actually sufficient for me.
    - Everything else I own in terms of major hi-fi gear (SACD decks, amp for Stax phones, etc) is pimp gold so I dont mind about the looks.

Soundwise, how did it do? With what sort of speakers?

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    They were all running with an early Genie prototype and our 914,905,912,909 system that we use as a useful benchmark. The Sony sounded reasonably good if not the most powerful thing going at the time. The problem for it was that the Marantz and Denon were much the better musically, the Pioneer crushed it for film work and the Yamaha was just completely superior. Things that got me wound up were the completely counter intuitive setup and the lack of OSD. It was quite well built though.
    When these units were being tested as "£600-£800 receivers", the 3000 didn't make a convincing case for itself. At a massive knock down price it would be better though.