1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-DA3000 or VA555ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pizzacheaze, Nov 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone help my descision?

2. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judging by the many posts on american forums the STR-DA3000 suffers from the following problems:

1. Digital power amps have difficulty driving low efficiency 4ohm speakers. This may or may not be an issue for you.
    2. Hisssssssssss. This seems limited to the 3000 model. The 2000 & 5000 models have received such criticisms. Many users have either up or downgraded because of this.
    3. Low volume output from analogue inputs. Does not seem to affect the digital inputs.
    4. Many users have reported that the amp has a sound much reminiscent of valve amps. This may or may not be a problem for you.

The only down side I can see for the VA555ES is the lack of Prologic II which may be a deal breaker if you watch a lot of TV/Sat/Cable. Why not consider the VA333ES which does have it?

But the only real test is to audition these amps, preferably in your own listening environment.

3. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 5000 looks just like the 3000.

The 5000 & 333 are both 7 channel amps. The 3000 & 555 are only 6 channel. This may be important to you.

Check the superfi site, the 5000 & 333 are available in black.

5. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger, too much choice

the 333 is looking favorite now

A+B speakers (I might need this in the future)

why do they make so many!

if i could get a black 555 for the superfi price i would prolly go for that.

The 5000 looks the dogs, but its just creeping out of my pricerange

6. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheapest i can see a 333 is £555 delivered

7. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend patience and an audition of both the 333 & 5000. You might feel like waiting a bit and saving up the extra £50 for the 5000. Of course if you really want to blow the budget check out the 9000.:eek:

The 5000 allows either 7.1 or 5.1 & separate zone 2 stereo outputs. The write up on the 333 doesn't say it can do this.

"Too much choice"?? You have't even considered Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Arcam....:devil:

8. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, the 333 includes 2 sets of speakers switchable (in case i want to put some speakers in the garden or bathroom for music) thats a plus point over the 555.

will have to research the zone thing to see what thats all about.

i am definatly leaning to a 333 now, I have to find a ebay clown for my 925 amp first. :)

good review of the 333 here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Amplifiers/Sony/SonySTR-VA333ES.php

9. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like you are a step ahead of me. I too have a 925 (great receiver) and will be looking for a replacement in the near future. I definitely want DPL2 for watching Sky & would like 7.1. Both the 333 & 5000 are on my shortlist to audition.

You will almost certainly get a better deal on the 333 or 555 as this range is being replaced by the new digital amps.

The zone thing allows you to configure the amp as a standard 5.1 format and reassign the two rear back channels as an independant stereo pair in another room. So you can be watching a DVD in 5.1 in the main room & listening to a CD in the other room at the same time.:smashin:

10. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    woo, that zone thing sounds great, i am going for the minimilist look, so the hifi is getting put in the toilet cupboard as is to be controlled via RF. Multiroom could be an advantage in the future, and that rules out the 555 (even though my local hifi store has offered me a good deal on one)

I totally agree, the 333 and 5000 are looking favorite now I have weighed up the pro's and cons'. As BT say, its good to talk.

My 925 has served me well, so well that I am considering keeping it as a bedroom radio!