• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DA2400ES and bi-amping

Swynol

hi, i have the sony STR DA2400ES and monitor audio Br2's just wondering if this is a good match?

I have it setup as 5.1 at the moment but was thinking of using the 2 spare channels (6&7) to bi amp/bi wire the front speakers. Do you think its worth it? or should i just leave it alone.

Swynol

just read the manual and it says i can only bi amp the front speakers with the Front A output and Surround Rear output so i cant use the 2 side speakers out 6&7? is that right? what if i have 5.1 and want to bi amp 1&6 and 2&7.

dante01

Distinguished Member
just read the manual and it says i can only bi amp the front speakers with the Front A output and Surround Rear output so i cant use the 2 side speakers out 6&7? is that right? what if i have 5.1 and want to bi amp 1&6 and 2&7.

You can use unused back speaker terminals to bi-amp the front speakers in conjunction with the front speaker terminals. You'd still be using the rear speaker terminals to power the rear surrounds. You can still power a 5.1 speaker configuration as well as bi-amping the front stereo pair.

Swynol

ah right i think i understand. the manual is a little confusing.

It says.

for 5.1 - Front to front, centre to centre and rear to rear. (the conection i have left is just called surround)
for bi-amp - front to front and rear, doesnt say anything about then using rear speakers aswel.

so im guessing i would do front to front and surround then rear to rear?

sorry if i sound thick. first time of setting one of these up

dante01

Distinguished Member
Wire the front speakers to the front A terminals plus the surround back terminals if bi-amping.

snapzproxsnapz001.jpg

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
ye and then my rear speakers to the second set down SURROUND?

Yes, the surround speakers are wired to the surround terminals. Surround speakers are only ever connected to the Surround Back terminals in a 7.1 configuration and 5.1 only uses the Surround terminals.

chrsfrm

Standard Member
Thanks Guys, That was my problem too. Will wire em up today.

chrsfrm

Standard Member
I'm thick again!!!
Going to wire them as you say but......what would the front B set of 4 terminals be for? I assumed incorrectly that is where the biamping would have been connected to. Cheers.

Ndaa75

Wire the front speakers to the front A terminals plus the surround back terminals if bi-amping.

snapzproxsnapz001.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but I have the STRDA 3500ES which I can also Bi wire the speakers. Can you explain what is the purpose of this? Is there a benefit?

chrsfrm

Standard Member
Nnada
I'm no expert but it is supposed to produce enhanced sound due to the separate driving of high & low frequencies at the speaker. It does appear to be pretty subjective in result though. However, if the amp/speakers allow it, then why wouldn't we try it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom