Sony STR-DA1200ES & New Sound Formats

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ap69, Apr 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello all
    I'm thinking of purchasing one of these but am hoping someone can confirm whether these are compatible with the new sound formats, e.g. Dolby Digitabl +, DTS-HD, etc (not sure of the correct terminology).

I understand they may be compatible of you rely on the source system (i.e. HD/Blue Ray DVD player) to do the decoding?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

2. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    That is correct.
    In fact any AV receiver that has 6/8-channel analogue inputs can make use of these new sound formats, as long as the player can decode them and also has the 6/8-channel analogue outputs.
    Quite a few players don't have these analogue outputs though, e.g. PS3, Toshiba HD-E1 etc., therefore HDMI is the only connection available to do this job.

Unfortuantely the Sony 1200ES does not process audio over HDMI, therefore you would need to go up to the 3200ES to get this functionality.
    There are many other receivers which also offer this functionality over HDMI, all you need to look for in the specs is PCM (or LPCM) over HDMI. Other examples are Onkyo 674, Denon 2307 etc.

3. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Thanks very much, that's really cleared things up.
    Looks like the 1200ES is not as "fuiture-proof" as I would like, so may have to go for the Denon or 3200ES. Are you aware of any limtiations on these 2 models?

Also, can I refer you to this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436931
    Presumably this is not an issue, or do I need to look for an amp with HDMI 1.3?

Thanks once again.

4. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    bump :thumbsup:

5. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I am not aware of any limitations on these specific models, they are both well thought of receivers.

This linked thread explains the lack of necessity for HDMI 1.3 quite well; it is quite difficult to future-proof yourself against models of players etc. that haven't been made yet.
    I believe it has been asserted by Dolby that decoding in the player is the way to go, in which case any receiver with HDMI 1.1 or more and able to receive LPCM over HDMI will be fine for HD sound formats.