1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony str 930 blown

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dfield2000, Aug 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    last night my 2 year old son cranked up the volume on the amp to maximum - after a few brief seconds of deafening volume it went totally silent and I haven't been able to get any sound out of it since. I've left it powered down for a few hours and reset the memory on it but it won't output anything including to the headphone socket. All the lights are on and you can access all the menu functions though.

Before I cart it off to a repairer, does anyone know if there is some sort of reset switch inside that might help ? Was this some sort of protective cut off that's been activated and needs to be reset or does it sound like something has blown ?

It seems stupid that an amp can damage itself in this way. I would have thought that the maximum setting on the volume should be at a level where the amp can still handle the power. Its like having a self-destruct button on the front panel.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Did you actually unplug it? if not it might be worth trying.
    Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to 6.1 ;) maybe I should get my daughter to crank up my str-925 :)

Good luck

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The protection circuitry should reset itself following a power cycle providing you've removed the cause of the circuitry kicking in.
    Disconnect EVERYTHING from the amp, and do a factory reset as well. Then see if you get anything from the tuner via the headphones - no need for an aeriel, hiss will do!
    If you still get nothing, then you may well have blown it.

In which position did you have the impedance selector switch on the back panel 4-8ohms, or 8-16.
    If you have low impedance speakers, then it should really be set for 4-8ohms. I know it will work for the most part in either, and at low to moderate levels, it may not seem to make any difference, but AFAIK, what these type of switches do is to reduce the supply voltage to the power amps, so in theory they can't go overcurrent with a low impedance load. Leaving it set at 8-16 with a low impedance load "might" cause a problem if the volume were very suddenly whacked right round to full.

That said, with a discrete device power amp section, I wouldn't expect all the channels to "blow" - but then if one has, and it's gone short circuit, then the protection circuitry will kick in and disable the lot anyway.

PS - when you do the reset, turn the speaker selector switch to off first!

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried everything you mentioned last night. The only thing I think I haven't done is set the speaker selection to off when I did the reset. I got my father to drop the amp down the local repairers this morning and apparently they've said that they've seen this kind of thing before and it'll cost over £100. I'll let you know what the final outcome is on Friday.

cheers